I cannot believe it...

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
So I just posted pictures of my 150gal predatory that is my pride and joy. Hours after I was informed that I am moving and that my tank will not be allowed inside the house. So my two choices are downsize to a 50gal and only keep my bichirs or keep my tank outside. What are your opinions on keeping fish outside. They will be under a patio and I will place screens to keep direct sunlight off the tank. I live in southern california.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Patio is just fine lots of people do it especially popular in Asia.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Your tank is not big enough to maintain a constant temperature in the summer or winter. Too much of a daily temperature variation will destroy your fish's immune systems and leave them open to disease. There's also the problem with animals trying to get an easy meal from a tank left outdoors. Santa Ana winds, fog, rain, and El Ninos add to speeding up temperature changes in small tanks. You could insulate the bottom, all sides, and the top but, where's the sense in that? You'd never be able to simply enjoy keeping that tank going. If you have the indoor space for a 50, it shouldn't be a problem fitting a 125 wide. They're the same length with the addition of twice the depth and increased height.

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
Well I live in southern california and would be using a large over sized heater

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
Ive kept 180, 100, and 2 40s outside. Well covered from sun and double heaters per tank. 2 years straight no dead fish or disease...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Well I live in southern california and would be using a large over sized heater
I used to live in Imperial Beach and had problems keeping a 400 gal tropical tank in check temp-wise. The utility bill for the tank was more than for the rest of the house. But, do what you want to rationalize yourself into doing. You asked for opinions.

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
I used to live in Imperial Beach and had problems keeping a 400 gal tropical tank in check temp-wise. The utility bill for the tank was more than for the rest of the house. But, do what you want to rationalize yourself into doing. You asked for opinions.
Thank you very much for your insight. The only problem I have with the 125gal idea is that my new land lord said that a 50gal is the max he will allow inside the house. I think what I will do is set up my tank outside and monitor it very well. If I notice that the tank is fluctuating at all or that at the end of the month the electric bill is too high I will admit defeat and downsize.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Here's a tip. during the move, paint your stand (metal or wood) and canopy with exterior varathane (triple thick polyurethane) to protect it from absorbing water (the bottom, too) during dewey mornings and protect wood from dry-rotting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store