How Do You Properly Clean Sponge Media?

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
hey everyone,
this may sound like a dumb question but its something I've wanted to clarify for a while. I just recently decided to ditch carbon all together in my AC 70 and 110, and use two sponges and biomax at the top. I kept reading about how good sponge is for beneficial bacteria so I'm doubling up and got some more sponge to put around the intake as pre filter. Anyway, how do you clean the sponges inside the filter without removing the bacteria? I know to squeeze them around and slosh them back and forth in a bucket of tank water and NEVER tap water…but how well does the bacteria hold onto the sponge? When i squeeze and slosh it around in the bucket, am i shaking off good bacteria along with the gunk that builds up? I want to make sure I'm not destroying my BB colonies every time i clean my sponges! thanks everyone!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have been cleaning sponge filters the way describe above, for decades, and try to rinse sponges in water change water at least every other day.
Although some beneficial bacteria may be squeezed out, all will not.
One of the benefits of fluidized media, is that old, less robust bacteria are sloughed off by the constant agitation of media.
Squeezing out a sponge regularly, would basically have a similar effect, allowing a more robust to remain.

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
I have been cleaning sponge filters the way describe above, for decades, and try to rinse sponges in water change water at least every other day.
Although some beneficial bacteria may be squeezed out, all will not.
One of the benefits of fluidized media, is that old, less robust bacteria are sloughed off by the constant agitation of media.
Squeezing out a sponge regularly, would basically have a similar effect, allowing a more robust to remain.
Very cool i didnt even think of that, so by regularly cleaning the sponges in that way id be building a much more robust colony of bacteria. Survival of the fittest!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Very cool i didnt even think of that, so by regularly cleaning the sponges in that way id be building a much more robust colony of bacteria. Survival of the fittest!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Personally I have enough bio media in my canister, the sponges are purely mechanical, I just was then under the tap, then when I refill the tank with primed water I soak then for 2-3 mins then put them back into the canister.

I have a power had circulating the primed water through my tank

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I rinse ALL my media under tap water in the bathtub. You are not going to do any significant damage to your bacteria colonies by rinsing in regular tap. I've never had a spike, or recycle on any tanks.

sm1ie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Singapore
It really depends whether sponge is your only main bio filter. If so, you should just rinse it with tank water during every water change.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
hey everyone,
this may sound like a dumb question but its something I've wanted to clarify for a while. I just recently decided to ditch carbon all together in my AC 70 and 110, and use two sponges and biomax at the top. I kept reading about how good sponge is for beneficial bacteria so I'm doubling up and got some more sponge to put around the intake as pre filter. Anyway, how do you clean the sponges inside the filter without removing the bacteria? I know to squeeze them around and slosh them back and forth in a bucket of tank water and NEVER tap water…but how well does the bacteria hold onto the sponge? When i squeeze and slosh it around in the bucket, am i shaking off good bacteria along with the gunk that builds up? I want to make sure I'm not destroying my BB colonies every time i clean my sponges! thanks everyone!
The main reason you use soap when hand washing and bathing is because soap physically help lifts microbes/germs off the skin. Washing without soap is completely ineffective in removing microbes, their "adhesion" to surfaces is quite strong. Therefore, don't be concern about squeezing and wringing out sponges during cleaning. In regards to using water from the tap, the chlorine level in (most?)municipal water isn't at a concentration that will kill microbes on contact like that of water from public swmming pools, so go ahead and rinse out that sponge under the faucet.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
The main reason you use soap when hand washing and bathing is because soap physically help lifts microbes/germs off the skin. Washing without soap is completely ineffective in removing microbes, their "adhesion" to surfaces is quite strong. Therefore, don't be concern about squeezing and wringing out sponges during cleaning. In regards to using water from the tap, the chlorine level in (most?)municipal water isn't at a concentration that will kill microbes on contact like that of water from public swmming pools, so go ahead and rinse out that sponge under the faucet.
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store