So why is the Asian Arowana still illegal in the U.S??

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
I mean I know it's endangered but with today's knowledgeable technology we could breed many of them, I mean they are absolutely beautiful fish I honestly think the market value is what destroyed the chance of these fish ever being legalized, what's ur opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Who are the 'we' that could breed them? The current breeders are dropping prices because there's a glut of aros flooding the market. None of these farms are considering releasing aros back into the wild and no government agency is willing to dedicate funds towards replenishing wild populations. Until wild populations are determined to be on the rebound there will be no change to the current laws. And since there are no government agencies willing to fund the research required to accomplish an updated population study, there's no means to get the current laws changed.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Who are the 'we' that could breed them? The current breeders are dropping prices because there's a glut of aros flooding the market. None of these farms are considering releasing aros back into the wild and no government agency is willing to dedicate funds towards replenishing wild populations. Until wild populations are determined to be on the rebound there will be no change to the current laws. And since there are no government agencies willing to fund the research required to accomplish an updated population study, there's no means to get the current laws changed.
I'm just going to save this post as a note and postit every time one of these threads pop up haha

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
There's more arros in farms and in aquariums than there ever was in the rivers lol

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There's more arros in farms and in aquariums than there ever was in the rivers lol

I don't know if captive specimens outnumbers original wild population numbers but, it doesn't really matter when it's just the wild population levels that are of concern to the conservation groups.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Its all BS !! The government spends more time on fund raising then actually giving a **** about us or doing their actual job they were elected for!! Thats why I dont care what is or isnt illegal, if u want something, go get it and be responsible with it, period!!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
I don't know if captive specimens outnumbers original wild population numbers but, it doesn't really matter when it's just the wild population levels that are of concern to the conservation groups.
It's all a crock, there's more Asian arros being produced to have any concerns with legality. So riddle me this batman. Why are asian arros illegal in USA but not ST datnoids? There's way more arros than ST datnoids I guarantee that.

You can easily get Asian arros in the USA. I say buy as many as you can get. At least you will support the farms raising them since governments don't want to help. If people don't buy these arros, then farms won't bother producing them and then we will really be screwed.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Its not finding them, its the damn cost!! The same fish in Canada is $700, here under the table, $3k!! Wtf!!!

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Plus its a mission to get a dealer in asia to send one here, they wont do it since its no leagl here so we are stuck buying them the over priced by some guy in china town. Total bs!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store