Algae scrubber for nitrate reduction in ray tanks, worth it?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Just something I am thinking about here, my ray tank doesn't get almost any algae, I get a tiny bit, but it's manageable to take a pad to once a month for sure. Maybe it's by virtue of my UV sterilizer, but I have a high GPH running through it so it shouldn't be targetting the algae, though it probably helps. Anyway, I was researching algae scrubbers, and other then keeping your glass clean I have been reading they also help reduce nitrates. Bonus. However, I read the POTHOS thread about reducing nitrates, I was like awesome, so cool, why haven't I been doing this for years with my rays. Sure enough, if I had read the entire thread before setting 2 baskets up in the sump, a few of the more experienced ray keepers ended up saying it does NOTHING with rays as the nitrate production is so high. Oh well. I was just wondering if the same applies to an algae scrubber, is it useless for nitrate reduction on a ray tank? If not, what size are you guys using on 400gal+ systems?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I know algae scrubbers are use in the reef community a good bit but I have not thought about one for a freshwater setup. I can't remember the size requirements for one but I would start with looking up what size you would need for a 400 gallon setup.
I played around with a few different things(pothos media types and what) but ultimately a drip system was the best thing that works and does just what I need it to do.
If you do try one I would be interested to see the results, most people in the reef world found running a protein skimmer was working against it as the skimmer removed nitrates and gunk and the scrubber also is using those thing to grow algae. The uv you run might have the same effect.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thank you for the input. I run an auto drip system as well myself, but unfortunately I can't seem to get my nitrates down enough. If I could drip 200 gpd I'm sure it would help, but for budget reasons 50 is about the best I can do at the moment. 50gpd is 1/8 tank volume change per day, which isn't too bad at all, but my issue is the nitrates coming out of my tap water here are high as it is, i have had readings from 60-90 straight from the tap. That's why I'm kinda looking for ways to reduce them after their in the water, too much on the go to build a reactor at the moment but believe me it's a goal of mine for sure, maybe a 1 year goal the way everything else is going lol.

Anyone else have any experience with it here?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
Inland aquatics runs algae scrubbers on their freshwater and aquaponics system. They custom make them too. Neat concept.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I would think you would need a really large scrubber or aquaponics system to do any good. I've got lots of pothos growing and my nitrate is high. That is terrible that your nitrate is that high right out of the tap.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Have you tried aging the water to see if that changes anything?

Sounds like similar situation to mine - junk outta the tap, what other choice is there then to cut with RO/rain water?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
This is what I found, Even though I had a good size pothos system growing like crazy it didn't make a dent in anything that I could tell, Glad my nitrates are 0 out of the tap.

I would think you would need a really large scrubber or aquaponics system to do any good. I've got lots of pothos growing and my nitrate is high. That is terrible that your nitrate is that high right out of the tap.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Read above as stated his tap reads high

If you can setup a drip system. My nitrates are 0 all the time. I drip 3gph 24hr a day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store