Feeding fry to larger fish

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
I know feeder fish from the pet store isn't a great choice for fish. But how about those you raise your self? They should be disease free and you can feed them well. I don't plan on feeding 100% feeders but once or twice a week with pellets on the other days.

Something like Guppies, or Mollies should be find right?

Also if the fish are large enough could they eat any fry?

How about convict cichlid fry? I heard they might cause issues but the person wasn't clear on what type of issues.

Any fish I shouldn't use as feeders?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The fish you mentioned are decent for use as feeders. Breeding yourself is safer than any lfs. Rosy reds and goldfish you should avoid due to thiaminase issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
I've done both guppies and convicts. I actually prefer convicts but you need a lot of patient or grow out tanks for the fries. It takes 3-4 months until they're a decent feeder size. Right now I have a tank full of year old spawn. They're 3-5 inches now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I've done guppies and convicts also. Be aware though, you may have some that survive. I put some convict fry in my CA cichlid tank. Thought they got eaten. About a month or so later i spot a little male convict, maybe 1 to 1-1/2" long swimming around like he owns the place. I had him for years and he grew to his full 6" potential.

Littlefishjoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Central Illinois
I've done guppies and convicts also. Be aware though, you may have some that survive. I put some convict fry in my CA cichlid tank. Thought they got eaten. About a month or so later i spot a little male convict, maybe 1 to 1-1/2" long swimming around like he owns the place. I had him for years and he grew to his full 6" potential.
hahahaha im having the same problem, been feeding all my male convict fry to my JD's. Guess one was allowed to live

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Littlefishjoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Central Illinois
Right now I have a Oscar (2.5" long) and 3 Jack Dempsey (3-4" long), so all are little guys right now. I'm thinking about getting another Oscar so they will grow up together that way I should be able to keep them in a tank together when they get older.
doesn't always work out that way, just love the ones you have now. Then later down the road if you want to adopt/rescue another Oscar you'll have the experience and facilities to do so( thats just my $.02)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store