High PH" best way to lower to around PH 7

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Hi iv just setup tank useing most R/O water and 20% tap water! But my water Had Zero KH hardness! So to solve this i added some Tropic Marine Re-Mineral" But this only made the PH higher and not really the KH" it was still around KH 1-2" but PH 7.2( wich i wonted) So to higher the KH but not the PH" I was told to use Bicarbonate of Soda (for bakeing) and it wont change PH"
So put some of this in tank and did tests! The KH as gone up to 4 wich i soft enough for me! But the Dam PH as gone off the scale (blue) way to high for south american!!

Would you just do a Big water change useing just R/O water and no minerals? as dont wont KH higher than 4""

Or is there a better way to lower PH and get thing Stable in the aquarium!

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
If I were you i wouldn't worry about trying to lower the Ph. South American fish will be fine in a ph of 7.2. I keep south american fish in a ph of 8 and they are thriving!

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
If I were you i wouldn't worry about trying to lower the Ph. South American fish will be fine in a ph of 7.2. I keep south american fish in a ph of 8 and they are thriving!
yes but id like to try and breed the fish im haveing" also they are comeing from a guys tank that is around 6.2 PH" There"s a big gap in the ph of mine and his tank!

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Do you have rocks in your tank? Mainly holy rocks? They drive the PH up.
In the Tank iv only got 1 big piece of slate and fair few plastic plants" a little bogwood and 6 bags of caribsea taiti black sand!

In the sump iv got carbon/filter wool and bag half of Alfra grog rock!! like larva rock!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just curious which S Americans you mean, my pH averages 7.8, and I've had many S Americans spawn in my tanks. Everything from Gymnogeophagus and Geophagus (altifrons, iporanguensis), and Australoheros, to Guianacara.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I would stick with the tap water PH if you can. Adjusting PH, unless done very slowly, is often a long battle of unstable ups and downs. Then you will probably repeat the cycle with every water change. If you feel you must lower it quickly very careful use of muriatic acid will do it but I would still do it as slow as you can over a few days. You can find it at most hardware stores or a pool supply store. Handel with care you do not want it on you or anything else.

I would also not jump into using the acid tell you get some more replies. Somebody might have a more user friendly approach.

EDIT: Remember when mixing acid and water the acid always goes into the water. Never dump the water into the acid.

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Just curious which S Americans you mean, my pH averages 7.8, and I've had many S Americans spawn in my tanks. Everything from Gymnogeophagus and Geophagus (altifrons, iporanguensis), and Australoheros, to Guianacara.
You got a soft water then? KH/GH i mean mate?
iv got a group of 5 cichla kelberi and going to get a few crenicichla zebrini or atabapo red pikes!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store