Is the online retail fish market saturated?

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Looking for opinions. Is there room for more online fish retailers? I am guessing the retailers would probably say no but wondering what the consumers think. Would also be interested in answers from retailers.

Thank you in advance, Chaz

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
There is always room, if you can find your niche. If you take cichlids as an example you know who your competition is. What can you do better or different than them? You can`t just make promises either, you must deliver. If you do then over time your reputation will build. People like to do business with those they have dealt with before and know they can trust. I own my own business so, after twenty-five years, I am speaking from experience.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
There still isn't an online store specializing in dats... (not that I know of at least). But I don't think its saturated at all.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It doesn't matter, folks open new business everyday but only those that giving out best services will stay/last/survive in long term :D Good Luck!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Competetion is good for the consumers

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Thank you for all the input, can use all I can get. I am no stranger to owning my own business but it was not retail. I do not think it would be hard to join the market but making a long term go of it and paying the bills at the same time is a bit more of an unknown. Seams like this kind of thread pops up fairly often and that is the last you hear of it. I am going to keep researching it. I am thinking I might scrape up a few resources and give it a part time go before I give up my day job. Not something I can do overnight but hopefully this thread will not be the last you hear of it.

Please keep sending any input you have.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Thank you for all the input, can use all I can get. I am no stranger to owning my own business but it was not retail. I do not think it would be hard to join the market but making a long term go of it and paying the bills at the same time is a bit more of an unknown. Seams like this kind of thread pops up fairly often and that is the last you hear of it. I am going to keep researching it. I am thinking I might scrape up a few resources and give it a part time go before I give up my day job. Not something I can do overnight but hopefully this thread will not be the last you hear of it.

Please keep sending any input you have.
GL

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You can normally see the same fish everywhere if you search. Pricing for the most part is pretty close. It really ends up being quality of service that makes the difference. There are only about 4 vendors that I am aware of that bring in some unique fish, but I imagine there are a couple more.. Only 1 of them is usually not very competitive on price but I understand his service is outstanding. So, if you can stick out through some clever marketing and get the all important word of mouth out you might succeed.

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville
If you can get product nobody else has, or get what everybody else has at a lower price, you're in business. Otherwise, it's going to be tough. You need to start out by defining what's going to set you apart from your competition. That's pretty much the deal with starting any new retail business.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store