180g native tank stock list

Dguertin

Feeder Fish
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
I'm looking to set up my 180g as a North America native fish tank. I'm thinking that I wood like mostly 3-6" fish like.
Perch
Crappies
Sunfish

What do you think?
Can I have plants?
My filtration should be very good. I have 10 gallons of trickle filter and a good algae turf scrubber.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
News flash, all of those fish get much bigger than 3-6". Yellow Perch get 8-12" on average, my personal best is 16". White Crappies average 8-12" with blacks at 10-16", biggest crappie I've seen was 24" but that's rare. Most Lepomis sunfish average 6-10". Bluegills will get 8-12", pumpkinseeds 8-10", greens 6-10", warmouths 8-12", etc.

But all those fish would still go in a 180 nicely. I'd do 8 Lepomis sunfish, 2 crappie, and a yellow or brown bullhead.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Native low light plants would work well in 180. But with the 2' depth of one, you will still need a decent light to keep them alive.

Anacharis, Hornwort, and Bacopa should be OK even with low light.

Dguertin

Feeder Fish
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
News flash, all of those fish get much bigger than 3-6". Yellow Perch get 8-12" on average, my personal best is 16". White Crappies average 8-12" with blacks at 10-16", biggest crappie I've seen was 24" but that's rare. Most Lepomis sunfish average 6-10". Bluegills will get 8-12", pumpkinseeds 8-10", greens 6-10", warmouths 8-12", etc.

But all those fish would still go in a 180 nicely. I'd do 8 Lepomis sunfish, 2 crappie, and a yellow or brown bullhead.
Ah okay bigger is better then smaller IMO. Does having a mix of different sunfish work out? Pairs? I would like a mix if it would work out. Wow about a Redbreast?

Native low light plants would work well in 180. But with the 2' depth of one, you will still need a decent light to keep them alive.

Anacharis, Hornwort, and Bacopa should be OK even with low light.
Nice. I have a 4' x 6 lamp T5 fixture from an old coral tank. That should light the center really good. What would be the right bulbs colors to use for growth and nice fish colors?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, you can mix different Lepomis sunfish species very well. Just aim for 5-6 of more as 2-4 always spells aggression.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Ah okay bigger is better then smaller IMO. Does having a mix of different sunfish work out? Pairs? I would like a mix if it would work out. Wow about a Redbreast?

Nice. I have a 4' x 6 lamp T5 fixture from an old coral tank. That should light the center really good. What would be the right bulbs colors to use for growth and nice fish colors?
5000k to 10,000k is what plants need. 6500k to 6700k is what most use.

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, you can mix different Lepomis sunfish species very well. Just aim for 5-6 of more as 2-4 always spells aggression.
Yes, for the most part, but even so, Lepomis are aggressive and territorial, so some losses to aggression are not uncommon, and typically more so with someone trying them for the first time.

Crappie on the other hand are not territorial, much more gentle, and cannot hold their own with Lepomis. I would not recommend them in the same tank, I was highly unsuccessful mixing them, and had to separate mine out.

Dguertin

Feeder Fish
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
Yes, for the most part, but even so, Lepomis are aggressive and territorial, so some losses to aggression are not uncommon, and typically more so with someone trying them for the first time.

Crappie on the other hand are not territorial, much more gentle, and cannot hold their own with Lepomis. I would not recommend them in the same tank, I was highly unsuccessful mixing them, and had to separate mine out.
How about, Have you or anyone tried Sunfish with a yellow perch or 2?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
How about, Have you or anyone tried Sunfish with a yellow perch or 2?
I've never kept them together, but I have kept a trio of yellow perch. I raised them from 1.5" to 2.5" before they died of swim bladder problems. They're not the hardiest fish in my experience and if they get any kind of ailment, their overall health will quickly decline. Though, I've heard they're hardier after they've achieved 6-7" or so. I might be getting another trio coming up soon so I'll have to see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store