Zebra Knife Fish

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
So I am not super into the whole knife fish thing, more of a poly and datnoid guy, however; I have found a true zebra knife at my lfs. It is priced at $50 and I am really interested. My question is is this fish worth getting?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
True zebras are awesome hunters and interesting looking oddball. Would be worth it. Not too many around. I would get one if I didn't have a a wife. You know get another tank and all. Probably be a solo tank. Need not too small fish and not too aggressive fish as well. True zebras are not readily available and always end with a carapo it seems. So would get it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It can be done but a very large tank is needed. Lots of driftwood and plants with plenty of hiding spots. There are some cautions. Just trying to minimize interaction. If there is any then can get away and be alright.

Both fish are territorial and can lead to fighting in the tank. Both fish will know each other are there.

BGK do have a reputation for bullying fish. Zebra knife if bullied will likely die. They get stressed and begin to withdraw and will not eat.

The other is that true zebras are not readily available in the hobby and BGK's are and I would choose the zebra over a BGK.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'm pretty sure there will be some interaction b/w the 2. You nor I cannot determine what will result. Could be conflict or maybe there will be some accord. The interaction may not lead to a conflict but can stress out a zebra and then it'll die of starvation. That's one of the worse case scenarios. This particular is recommended not to have aggressive or small fish. Hard to find the fish in the middle. You can always try and see what happens. For me there's a value in a fish especially something that comes around so infrequently and that I want. Keep us posted on what you do. Good luck.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I just realized that QuDodger isn't asking the questions in his own post. That its mattmez. I think I need more coffee. Lol.

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
Haha I have all polys so I don't think I will have a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store