40 Gallon Breeder for a poly or two?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

After working at petsmart for about a month now, Im really thinking about setting up my 40 breeder for freshwater, initially used as quarantine tank for salt. I have tons of experience of keeping fish, I do have a 150 gallon saltwater tank. We sell at out store senegals for like $7 there small tho like 3 inches, but Ive always wanted one ever since I first started freshwater back years ago, but never came around to do it. I get them for like $6 and change, pretty sure thats a great price for senegals.

I was thinking of getting two for the 40 breeder, 2 albino bushy nose plecos and something else but unsure lol.

Probably eventually the senegals will need to go to bigger tank, but pretty sure they can last in here for awhile.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Yeah you should be fine with them in there for years. They should be able to stay in there for life, but I'm sure a couple years down the line they would appreciate an upgrade to a 55g or 75g.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks for the replies, darn really like the idea of having albino bushy nose plecos. Do they have issues with each other? Just curious, unless there share the same love/hate relationship in the stingray world where plecos stress rays out by latching on them...and some members say it never happen.

Just curious lol, thats probably going to be the next thing, wonder what I can put with the senegals

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
Theres a chance the plecos might kill your Senegals by eating their slime coat. That's why most people don't keep plecos with polypterus. Petsmart usually sell african leaf fish, they would make great tank mates.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PrettyPoly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
Canada
I found bushynose/bristlenose to be the least obtrusive of the pleco family when I kept fish who were susceptible to getting their slimecoat sucked off but that being said, I am not keeping any with my Bichirs now to prevent the risk. I would worry about them getting eaten as well, some of my BN maxed at 4" and if you had a bigger Senegal i'd think that might be a meal.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey thanks everyone for the replies, I understand so the plecos do have the same problem with ploys as well as with rays. Also yes we do sell the leaf fish, I never thought about them, id probably have to watch some videos about them even tho we have them I never really paid to much attention to them because Im either working, helping customers or more into the senegals lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store