March 25, 2015, the day I got confirmation I must be doing something right...

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Yesterday, in the middle of dinner, I caught my male, who I was getting ready to name Elton John,doing this:

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7OSzcdQt8[/YT]

What a curveball. She was all over the glass after and sperm plug was definitely in there, 100%. The corny music was put in there to hide my profanity and yelling at the top of my lungs. Didn't think hed ever get to it, I've seen him bite before, but I never saw any chasing or movement up through the water column. She gave in pretty easy it seems. A bit mopey right now but eating well, he didn't beat her up too bad, worst is below her eye when he latched onto the opening where the gill is. He's separated because he wouldn't leave her alone after, and I think my other female may be a tiny bit too small.

This is sort of bittersweet because April 10th I was set to move these guys to a 200 temporarily and take down my 400 to redo my seams because they are questionable. Moving the tank one my my friends put a crack in the top brace, plus I didn't manage to get it 100% level, so there has been some noticable wear in the 4 months since I've been here. Now I'm torn, do I move them asap to the 200 and continue with my plans to try to get her back in there quick? It's a bowfront with dual overflow boxes in the corners, so while she is in there she won't be happy. System runs well, but for space wise, and if the male continues to attack her like he was, that will not be a stress free 2-3 weeks. I am leaning towards hoping the seams last another 4 months and having the 200 ready on standby just in case. I will take some pics of the seams and ask some experts. I'm hopeful that they will last and I can move them into the 200 right away after that, get the job done (before theshelf life of my weld-on#40 expires), and hopefully start pumping out some more puppies!

Any first advice for a first timer is welcome. I know I'll be ordering black worms closer to the time, some sort of rubbermaid holding tank will need to be constructed for the first little bit I imagine, and then I'll move em to a small tank with the FX5 that I have running on the sump of this tank and their old water. Gonna be a grandpa, WOOHOO!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Nice one!!
Congrats bud, good luck with your plans. I am not up on tank repairs so can't help you there. Hope things go well for you. What ever you do, be ready to seperate in about 10 weeks time.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks Jim, I am going to be as ready as I can be ASAP. I got a 35 gal sump I think I will use, it has some sections that act as little slides you can take baffles in and out of, and a couple other small baffle like additions that keep the bio tower elevated (bio tower removable), but I don't feel like these would be too sharp. Gunna make a PVC heater guard too, not taking any risks here.

Thanks keepinfish, ya the smaller female that didn't get tagged is one of Trevor's, she's a bit small still so I didn't keep her with the male in case he misplaces his aggression, I think he has only ever bit her 1 time like 6 months ago, no signs of interest otherwise, but still don't wanna take the chance I don't think, 1 at a time in light of circumstances may be best anyway. I can always move her in with him and see, fluid situation for me.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
To my knowledge, from what I saw, the whole procedure lasted like 1-2 minutes at most. He didnt chase her forever, I just noticed them in the middle of the water column, she fought it off once, but the second time he just got right under there and got it done, not too much resistance, im surprised he managed as well as he did. Due to the up and down temperature of where I live right now, and a bit of a wonky drip, my tank was actually pretty damn hot when it happened. Like definitely a bit of a temp spike, temp was about 85 I think, I'm bringing it down to about 80 now. I have heard that cooling the water a bit mimics the rainy season and can trigger spawning, wonder if the small heat spike had anything to do with it? He bit her hard a whole bunch of times on the face, she has prior bites on her disc but werent that bad at all.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Nice. Good luck with the pups.
I wouldn't bother with black worms either. They should eat other foods like chopped earth worms and what you feed the adults.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks Diesel, definitely what I am going to do, I wouldn't mind finding some threaded PVC for the end cap though so I can take it out and adjust the heat if needed. May just run the 35 gal as a loop off the main tank to make it easier, just don't like the idea of PVC overflows tbh, not that I've had any experience with em just seems easy to fail at first glance. Could buy a cheap glass tank and try drilling it, or hell just try drilling the acrylic 35 gal.

Thanks spotfin, ya the more I thought about it the more I thought it may be counter productive to go the blackworm route. Bloodworms are more readily available here, and can thaw them in some water with pellets after and get them eating those easier.

Appreciate it George, exciting times. I am gathering all supplies as needed to repair the main tank, I am leaning towards moving her and getting the tank sealed for peace of mind, rather risk losing the babies than losing her I think. I got 2.5 weeks to think about whether or not do go through with it or not, the 175 bow is set up 2 meters away ready to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store