Mesonauta mirificus

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
A couple of my M. mirificus about 4-4.5 inches TL. Very cool striations when the mood strikes them. I love festivum more people should keep these fish.

006.JPG

022.JPG

006.JPG

022.JPG

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Nice. Also nice to see them with angelfish, which is how I used to keep them, with angels, discus, laetacara, etc. (Other than water quality, I didn't baby discus when I kept them the way a lot of people think you have to, and I always did well with them.) Been years since I've had Mesonauta, though. Basically all were called festivum back then, so no idea what species I actually had. (yeah, I know technically "festivus" is correct, but back then everyone called them festivum)

Anyway, I liked them when I had them. How many in the group?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice pics whats the growth rate like

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I've considered them, there were a couple nice ones floating around a couple months ago. I was worried about comm'ing them with my severum, most fish with streamers can be easy targets.

Mahlerfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2010
New York
Those are really nice! I also haven't kept any species of Mesonauta in years (actually decades), but your M. mirificus is tempting me to try some again.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Nice. Also nice to see them with angelfish, which is how I used to keep them, with angels, discus, laetacara, etc. (Other than water quality, I didn't baby discus when I kept them the way a lot of people think you have to, and I always did well with them.) Been years since I've had Mesonauta, though. Basically all were called festivum back then, so no idea what species I actually had. (yeah, I know technically "festivus" is correct, but back then everyone called them festivum)

Anyway, I liked them when I had them. How many in the group?
I'm old school and also refer to them as festivum. I have them with some wild scalare Rio Nanay and Chocolates. There are five of the and they breed about every five weeks or so. I love festivum great fish in a big community tank.

Nice pics whats the growth rate like

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks, they don't grow too fast I got these at about 2" a couple of years ago and they are averaging about 4" but will most likely top out at around 6.

I've considered them, there were a couple nice ones floating around a couple months ago. I was worried about comm'ing them with my severum, most fish with streamers can be easy targets.
I keep them with some good sized chocolates and wild angels and they all just keep to themselves. I don't have single fish so other than some territorial chasing each species just interacts with themselves. I would think you should have no issue keeping Festivum and severum together.

Those are really nice! I also haven't kept any species of Mesonauta in years (actually decades), but your M. mirificus is tempting me to try some again.
Angelfish, chocolates and festivum are among my favorite fish. Festivum have always reminded me of proto-Pterophyllum, the jurassic angelfish. I love watching them.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My large male and one of the females paired off today and started breeding on the Mag-Float. For a size that's about a 4" Mag-Float.

008.JPG

011.JPG

024.JPG

026.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

024.JPG

026.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store