Fish Behavior Question

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
alright so this is the second time this has happened in a week. All my Bleeding heart tetras (6) are shoaling together just fine then they all kind of fan out across the aquarium and become super aggressive towards the other tank mates. they have all laid claim to certain spots in the tank and keep chasing everything else away , two of them have claimed the same area away from the other 4 however the one little bastard keeps chasing that one away too but it keeps coming back. I've noticed the one is getting beat up a bit , fins nipped at and looks like tiny nips on the body.

Any idea what the hell is going on with these little hell spawns , I thought they were peaceful ? my ass;)

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
They can be very territorial with one another. I have a 100 gallon (5 footer) that I keep about 20 bleeding hearts in. Nothing else, except for a bushynose. Heavily planted, very cool tank. Watching this tank is pretty amazing. The bleeding hearts are aggressive with one another. Then, all is well and they are all swimming looking for food. Tetra's and barbs are much more interesting then people give them credit for. If you want a really interesting tank, get a group of black phantom tetra's. Several males and females, their displays to one another are amazing. Very cool mock fighting and actual fighting.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Lol, my gf and I are debating which fish go into the living room. She says she went from hating the barbs and tetras when I got them, to them now being her favorites and will not part with them :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store