Price of Tigrinus catfish

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Do you think the price has dropped over the years on Tigs" or got little higher! Just looked at the price from few shops from £265 upto £450 for catfish size 3-6 inch! They was little cheeper around 4 years ago!

Thort they would be cheeper know as most are farmed?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The prices for them here seem to have gone up just a little compared to when I first saw one for sale a few years ago. I was not aware that they were farmed?

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Has there bean a limit on numbers allowed to be imported into country" or they are just harder to come across in the wild! Is that wy the price has gone up?

just going on whot a chap said to me in aquatic shop about the farming

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure and to be honest the price hasn't gone up a whole lot.Tigs never were exactly cheap especially compared to juruense and I guess it depends on the vendors pretty much.I recall one vendor a few months ago claiming that after his current batch is sold out there may not be any more available for some time...a reason for that was not mentioned.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I just read this year that they are being farmed via hormone injection. I guess the quantity is not all that great. The price is fairly stable I feel. Once a fish is over $100 a 10-15 dollar difference doesn't mean much.

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
I just read this year that they are being farmed via hormone injection. I guess the quantity is not all that great. The price is fairly stable I feel. Once a fish is over $100 a 10-15 dollar difference doesn't mean much.
Yes id pay the extra all day long for a really nice wild fish! How much money you think the farm will get per fish for doing the injections! Dont think they are doing becouse of thinking of the wild stock! more for the CHA CHING

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Yes id pay the extra all day long for a really nice wild fish! How much money you think the farm will get per fish for doing the injections! Dont think they are doing becouse of thinking of the wild stock! more for the CHA CHING
I don't necessarily agree with that statement. If they don't mess up the species by just making breeding factories like has been done with polypterus, there is not a thing wrong with captive bred stock. There is an advantage to it since it leaves wild fish alone. If they make good selections and don't line breed there really should be no difference that you could see.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Who says they are being farmed? Ive yet to see a farm raised one available! Ive aquired a few ovet the past few years for myself and to sell to a few clients. A baby around 4" lets say is still going for $ 225 or so. I have a 9" presently and its worth probably triple of it cost at 4" . Even wholesale, they are an expensive fish to buy. I still think 1000x better then a jurenses anyday ! Also think of it like this, we hobbyist spend good money feeding our fish, why not get the best we can get and keep insted of just a runner up?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
The fundamental reason these fish are expensive is the fact of their availability to the aquarium trade. Remember, they are a food fish for the native people of the amazon river so its like someone from india coming here and buying our cows as pets and taking away a food source from us. So they are basically citiied in sense of how many can be taken for ornamental reasons in contrast for consumption reasons for food. Also they live in a very high flow area so acquiring them is very hard to do and can only be done when the waters recede and allow for collecting to take place.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
are you saying that the juruense is the runner up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store