Freshwater Stingrays still legal in WA!!!

Big Daves Rays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Seattle WA
As some people know, the dept. of fish and wildlife in Washington state was looking at banning the import of freshwater stingrays into the state. Why? Because the people they contacted who were bringing them in would not give them the information they requested or reply. They didn't know anything about them and wanted to know what they were, if they would survive in the wild and such.
My good friend Todd (anythingfish) contacted the dept. and found out who was in charge of the decision making for this. He spoke with the lady and all she wanted was someone who would give her info on the species so they could make an educated decision and not a blind decision. Todd asked me to help him gather info for her. I prepared a few page report and gave references for the info and sent it to her. Today Todd just recieved a reply from her, and stingrays will remain legal to import into the state of Washington.
Moral of the story, Don't think of the dept. of fish and wildlife as a bunch of crazy fish police. They are people like you and me just trying to do their job. Their job is to keep the ecosystem safe and stable. For those of you in the south, the legality of importing rays and other fish is probably a no win situation becuase of the heat and the hobbyists who dump their fish that are too big into the lakes and rivers. But for those up north, if your state wants to ban a fish that you know can't survive in the wild, Contact someone! Be nice and cordial and just give them information on the species that they want. All they want to do is their job. Help them do it and educate them.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Good Work! I also understood Waldo was making a case for that same lady.

I am not a P fan, but I am sure with some work you can legalize them if they are legal in Oregon!

thorpbrian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
La Center, WA
Nice....on a side note, has that lady never heard of that little website named GOOGLE?

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
the original post is in 07 not as much info as there is now. also im sure they were just wanting to hear it from the source.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store