Acrylic help needed ASAP

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
So I want to build a 96x30x18 acrylic tank. I was told to use 12mm cast acrylic and weld on 4 for bonding.

Here's the fun part, all I have available is 12mm plexiglass and tap plastic acrylic cement.

My question is plexiglass the same as acrylic? And will this tap plastic acrylic cement work for me?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
You need cell cast acrylic I don't know much about the glue you speak of but if I was to build a tank I would use weld-on 4 to bond it and 40 to reinforce all the seams once constructed and the stuff is messy

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
Plexiglass is no where near as durable as cast acrylic. Of the different acrylics available cast acrylic is the strstrong. I would say for an acrylic tank with those dimensions you should use half inch acrylic. And order weld on 4, the way acrylic works is you shoot the weld on 4 acetone onto the seams of the tank, the acetone melts the acrylic together making a solid bond between the 2 sheets.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Plexiglass is no where near as durable as cast acrylic. Of the different acrylics available cast acrylic is the strstrong. I would say for an acrylic tank with those dimensions you should use half inch acrylic. And order weld on 4, the way acrylic works is you shoot the weld on 4 acetone onto the seams of the tank, the acetone melts the acrylic together making a solid bond between the 2 sheets.
I was under the impression plexiglas was a brand of cell cast, well from the multiple pages I've read that's the overall concensus. Are you sure about your info? The tap plastics cement is the same chemical composition as weld on 4? I already know that acrylic welding is done by capillary action.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'd use weld on 40. Much stronger. Instead of melting the pieces together, it's basically liquid acrylic and bonds them. If you use 4 on a tank that big I'd make sure to tip and pour with 40 to reinforce. 12 mm is .472 inches which is pretty thin. I'd go with 5/8 at least or 3/4"

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I'd use weld on 40. Much stronger. Instead of melting the pieces together, it's basically liquid acrylic and bonds them. If you use 4 on a tank that big I'd make sure to tip and pour with 40 to reinforce. 12 mm is .472 inches which is pretty thin. I'd go with 5/8 at least or 3/4"
You seem like you would know If plexiglass is the same as acrylic, what's your opinion ?

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Plexiglass is a brand name. They make cell cast and extruded acrylic. You want to use cell cast, the brand is less important. Cell cast acrylic is more expensive but is much better than extruded for tank building. The stuff generally found at hardware stores is thin extruded. You will likely need to talk to a specialty shop or order on the net to get what you need. From everything I have read about building acrylic tanks I would also go with the weld on 40.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Plexiglass is a brand name. They make cell cast and extruded acrylic. You want to use cell cast, the brand is less important. Cell cast acrylic is more expensive but is much better than extruded for tank building. The stuff generally found at hardware stores is thin extruded. You will likely need to talk to a specialty shop or order on the net to get what you need. From everything I have read about building acrylic tanks I would also go with the weld on 40.
Bingo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
You just answered my question, thank you very much !! I will look Into it. I will be ordering it from my local glass dealer!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store