Bubbles not evaporating

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Noticed this earlier. Its on the 75 gal. I did a large wc today dosed with prime. Gave the bio a swish in tank water, added the purigen that was just recharged and removed some coral from the media bag. dont see what could be causing this.

Cant be the purigen as i let it soak for 1 day in safe (3 1/4 table spoons) which is more than enough and an additional day same dose of safe as the first.

It looks as if the bubbles from the airstone are collecting in the right side of the tank

uploadfromtaptalk1427416636220.jpg
Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Well if it were soap your fish would probably be dead by now. I've never seen that before.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I get something like that in one of my tanks... In my tank it seems to be caused by a mixed of the protein layer and the algae in my water collecting at the surface creating a thin film which prevents the air bubbles popping if you will...

I normally end up running my ehiem 350 skimmer on the tank for 20min when that happens, still havent really found a way to combat the problem in that tank...

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It looks like something in the tank is stabilizing the bubbles. Soap isn't a likely culprit for the reason Podzy stated, but something in the food is a reasonable culprit. It could be something else of course---but it's likely chemical in nature, so you'd have to look at what has been added recently (if it's not food.)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Only thing added was the purigen and i lwt it soak for two days. Two treatmemts of safe

Could it be the safe maybe wasnt washed well enough from the purigen

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
If you have enough minerals in the water a combination of the air bubbles and protein will form protein bubbles that will stay around. It is how a skimmer works on a salt water tank. Might try skimming it off with a net or paper towel. I think the makers of Prime and similar products claim that it will not impact a protein skimmer but I noticed a huge increase in protein bubbles in my skimmer after using Prime. Might not have been just protein but I do not know what else it could have been.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most likely caused by protein/organics.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Bio-film

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/surface-scum.html

Surface scum is primarily composed of water-insoluble organic
compounds (proteins, fats, aromatics, etc) from fish food, and/or from
the decay of plant and animal matter in your aquarium. As the scum is
both water-insoluble and lighter than water, it floats. Secondarily,
other things can colonize the scum (presumably while feeding on it),
such as bacteria
Read my sticky on probiotics (in health/illness folder), and try adding some on a weekly basis to reduce organics in between water changes. Cost is dirt cheap, and your tank/fish can benefit in other ways as well. Good luck.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks rd will check out the sticky when i get home... checked the links and indont think its lack of filtration i have an fx6 on this tank. But i did add crushed coral to the filter to taise my ph. Which is sitting at maybe 7.8 i am aiming for 7.2 ish

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
One can get a build up, or an excess of organics in an aquarium regardless of the filtration used. I would consider that first if it was me. Surface film or surface scum is a fairly common occurrence in the hobby, and is typically caused from excess protein/organics as stated in the quote posted above from the krib thread.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have been messing with the ph adding crushed coral i dont feed to heavy....actually on the light side. Wouldnt the purigen help with the organics ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store