Dithers for Rays

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
Ok so right now I'm growing out a male Motoro as well as a female Reticulated. Motoro is probably 7-8"disk and the reticulated is probably at 5-6"disk. Currently as dithers I have 4 Tinfoil Barbs and 8 Filament Barbs. They're extremely active, don't bother my rays whatsoever and add movement that the tank needs, mostly to keep everyone else in the house off my back. However, during feeding time is gets to be a mission to feed the rays. I'm hand feeding the both of them and the rays have come to understand that the second my hand hits the water they must haul *** to wherever I'm at before any of the barbs notice and swarm me to get their food. As much as I like the barbs, I'd like some suggestions on some potential dithers that are more or less as active as them but not as daring as to try to rip the shrimp/bloodworms from my hand. Any ideas?

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I have Red Hook Silver Dollars as dithers and they are great in my ray/cichla tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
appolo sharks if not mistakes swim on the top usually, silver dollars like mentioned and even zebra danios if thats the right name. normally used as dithers for cichlids because there really quick!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Larger tetras. I have black skirt tetras in my tank.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
I love Red Hooks but they're hard to come by for a decent price around me. And I don't really like the regular species of dollar. The Black Skirt Tetras are a good idea, but the rays have other tank mates that may make that difficult. They're in with a 6" Black Arowana that I'm also growing out as well as a 9" Senegal Bichir. I can only see those tetras becoming lunch for one of those two.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Tetras are out. I like the geo suggestion. Or severums.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
I've never really been a fan of the geophagus, but I am intrigued by the idea of some severums. Do you guys think maybe 4 or 5 will be good enough to replace my barbs?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I've never really been a fan of the geophagus, but I am intrigued by the idea of some severums. Do you guys think maybe 4 or 5 will be good enough to replace my barbs?
Yah, that would look pretty cool.
I keep regular silver dollars with mine and there's not any competition. My ray is pretty big but the SDs never outcompeted my smaller rays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store