The Crenicichla Vittata "alligator pike" growout thread

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Since no one on mfk has ever made a vittata grow out thread I think it's about time for one to be made

Here's a little introduction on this species: These guys are really cool they have a long snout reminiscent to a alligators (hence the name) and can grow to be one of the largest if not the largest crenicichla species, Oliver lucanus reports sighting one while diving claiming it was 2+ feet! They're a lacustris type of pike and are subtropical.

I ordered 6 crenicichla vittata alligator pikes. Anyways here they are at 2 inches a couple of them are under 2 inches actually... They're feeding on cut tilapia pieces. My goal is to grow them out and spawn them which vinny kutty did with his at 7-8 inches. Then after I get some spawns and pick up some size since they're supposedly one of the most peaceful pikes they'll go into my 300 gallon with oddballs and other fish.
I'll update their growth and stuff with pics. Enjoy! ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427426943.310140.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427427029.505477.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427427057.016966.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427427127.956708.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427427057.016966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: jjollie

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Nice group you got there creni, I am looking to get some smaller pikes to put in my fish tank in my office. I have a 55 gal, so I might do 1 jegui or try to spawn some smaller pikes don't know yet. Those vittata are going to look great when they get some size

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
How long did it take Ken to get his fish out to you? Was it overnighter or 2 day? I ask because I'm having some issues with getting my pikes that were supposed to arrive today.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Thanks for all the comment guys yeah I'm really proud of them they're one of my ultimate favorite pikes...
I'm a fan also since they're an apex predator along with hoplias lacerdae, gold dorado and some large catfish.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
How long did it take Ken to get his fish out to you? Was it overnighter or 2 day? I ask because I'm having some issues with getting my pikes that were supposed to arrive today.
Hey what's up robin I used overnight since he doesn't pack his fish as well as some other people I'm accustomed to dealing with. Last time a bag popped actually but fish were fine. What happened though? I generally prefer fed ex wayyy over USPS

PS I'm never around when fish come since I have class but USPS never leaves it at my door ever, they always take it back to the usps facility

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Nice group you got there creni, I am looking to get some smaller pikes to put in my fish tank in my office. I have a 55 gal, so I might do 1 jegui or try to spawn some smaller pikes don't know yet. Those vittata are going to look great when they get some size

Thanks man they're cool already begging for food whenever I come by... Imagine them when they're 20 inches all begging for food all 6 of them that'd be quite a sight

For a 55 I'd skip the jegui since they're really aggressive and limit tank mates and basically are inactive all day and do a pair of Crenicichla inirida I "blood tears" they're coming in on Columbia shipments I have a male and he's REALLY prettyImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427493980.155363.jpg this is a crappy pic 2 days after I got him. Do a pair and 8-10 giant danios

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store