Anybody Spray Paint Bottom Of Tanks?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone, was thinking of spray painting the bottom of a tank and see how it looks. I would defiantly use some kind of paint that resembles sand, pretty sure there is a spray can that paints the looks of sand somewhere. Anybody done it?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have two of them that I have painted black. One has only a sprinkling of gravel and the other used to be bare bottom. I like it better than seeing the inside of the cabinet.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I started spraying all my tanks as I shifted to bare bottom (no substrate) tanks. I found that several of my fish were more skittish over a transparent bottom, and settled down when the bottom was painted opaque.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
90% of my tanks have the bottoms spray painted black. I love it.

As more to your question, I think some of the older members did this a while back. Used that Rustoleum "stone" paint or something. Looked pretty good when it was finished. Looked a lot like sand. JCardona was one of them.

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
Used that Rustoleum "stone" paint or something. Looked pretty good when it was finished. Looked a lot like sand. JCardona was one of them.
Rustoleum american accents stone textured spray paint used it on some things around the house. i haven't used it on a tank but it does have a texture to it so i would imagine it would add a little depth instead of looking like a flat coat of paint.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Bare painted tank bottom will give alot more reflection and might cause trouble for some fishes that keep staring at their own reflection :D

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
My hospital/quarantine is painted flat black, I had my 235 built with black acrylic on the bottom.

SOA

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Milwaukee
IMG_1339.JPG

I spray the bottom of my tanks with 1 or 2 coats of the stone accent. It lets some light thru so i spray a third coat of flat black over that. The back of my tanks are flat black. I do it on my grow out tanks and bigger tanks in case i ever want to have them set up without gravel.

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store