Would an elephant nose work in a 55 gallon hex?

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville
Sorry if this is bit OT for this forum. ENs can get fairly large and are definitely weird so I figured it would be close to on topic. I desire larger and weirder in my future though so I registered.

I've got a 55 gallon hex that currently has a 5 dwarf gouramis, 4 perl gouramis and 4 bronze corydoras. It's the first real tank I've had in years so I wanted to start with easy stuff.

The corys are the only thing that touch the bottom third of the water column, so that's where I've got the most room to grow. It's pretty well planted with a massive piece of driftwood in the middle.

I've got a river sand substrate that should be fine for the EN.

What I'm unsure about is if the "tall" tank setup would give the guy enough room on the bottom.

If the EN wouldn't work, does anyone have a suggestion for something funky I can add here now that the tank is established and healthy? I have no experience stocking tall tanks and I don't particularly like them. It was practically given to me by a friend who was moving and I gladly took it, regardless.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
If it was a normal 55 I think it'd be fine, but a hex, probably not. Mine likes to cruise. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Hex tanks for most fish, even though I think they look cool. Although I do like them for goldfish tanks...

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville
I'm not a fan of hex tanks either, but I talked the guy down to $100 for the tank, stand, and a working canister filter of some kind. I'm just not real sure what to do with it.

The heat and AC in our apartment is pretty bad so I wanted to see what the temperature fluctuations were going to be on a tank this size over the course of a year before I put anything in it that doesn't naturally live in a drainage ditch. It turned out that I had to upgrade the heater but was fine during the summer. I made a Styrofoam cozy for it regardless.

If nothing else I'll throw in a half dozen tiger barbs and couple more cories. I'm just hoping somebody can suggest something kinda weird.

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Dude on March 29 petsmart is having a dollar per gallon sale go pick up a 55 long for 55$ then for another 35-40$ get a marine land penguin 350 filter and u should be good

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville
I'm planning on spending a little bit of money then for sure, most likely not on that though. What's a 55 long? Just a normal 55?

I've got enough effort invested in this, mostly in the plants, that I want to make it work.

Also, it's the dimensions of this tank that let it deal with the changes in temperature as well as it does. If it was a 40 breeder nothing would survive the winter or summer.

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville
I'm in a poorly climate controlled apartment in a geographic location that gets highs over 100 degrees in the summer and below zero in the winter. With this tank I can keep the temperature within +/- 3 degrees of where I want it to be over the course of a year. That's still an uncontrolled six degree temperature swing . With a less dense tank it would be even worse. Unless I want to keep a large tank of ornamental guppies (which would be pretty cool, just not my thing) I'm best off with what I've got.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store