I guess I should stop by here and post

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville
Hi all.

I just found this forum and love it.

I have no monsterfish but desire them in a very unhealthy way.

Fish keeping has been an obsession since I was a kid. It started with a few guppies at 8 and by 14 I was breeding dwarf gouramis and trading them to the local LFS. Now I'm nearly 40 and slightly lost. Why are under gravel filters bad now?

This appears to be one of the most knowledgeable forums related to keeping fish active right now so I'll stick around until I finally have the giant gourami I've wanted since I was 14 and messing around with DGs.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Welcome!

Under gravel filters are not "bad" just not nearly as efficient as what there is now. They also just collected all the waste at the bottom and without proper cleaning, can be a large source of nitrates in the water.

Have any setups going now?

By the way I love your username :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Welcome to MFK!

There are still people using UGF, and although effective, it's just dated. I suppose people (myself included) just don't like the idea of having all that organic crud under the substrate.

BTW, I picked up a baby white giant gourami last summer :)

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville

VelvetElvis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2015
Nashville
Welcome to MFK!

There are still people using UGF, and although effective, it's just dated. I suppose people (myself included) just don't like the idea of having all that organic crud under the substrate.
Plants dig it, in addition to the water circulation around their roots. That's what the fish books said 25 years ago anyway.

UGF in a heavily planted tank is much more efficient than in a tank with no plants. I've always had well-planted tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store