Recently moved and fish prices double!

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
I just recently moved from Massachusetts to the mountains of North Carolina. After checking out the new LFS I noticed that fish prices have double! For example a Roseline Barb was $9.99 in Mass and now they are $19.99 here :WHOA:. Im assuming its the shipping up the mountains that jacks up the prices. Anyone else have a similar situation? Its going to kill me to set up a new tank and pay double on all the fish I stock

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'll bet most real estate agents don't get asked about LFS pricing by many clients. As far as shipping cost goes I don't know why it would be more expensive to get fish to your LFS than anywhere else. Maybe the prices are jacked because it's the only store around ldk.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I guess they figure that's what they can get in that area do to a lack of competition. Roselines haven't been $20 for a couple of years now. When they were new they commanded a higher price now $7 to $10 is about right. Sounds like Hooterville is a little behind the times. Next time you go into town for vittles you should stop by talk to the shop keeper. All kidding around aside it might just be cheaper to order from one of the on line vendors.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I moved from downstate NY to Upstate NY and found the same thing down state is more expensive on everything except fish. I think it depends on how many layers of separation you have from importers. The people I bought from down state buy from wholesalers in NYC that get fish directly from importers and breeders. Where as the stores upstate all order from the same supplier that ships all over the country.

Also depends on competition. There is one specialty LFS within an hour drive where down state there was 5-10.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I just recently moved from Massachusetts to the mountains of North Carolina. After checking out the new LFS I noticed that fish prices have double! For example a Roseline Barb was $9.99 in Mass and now they are $19.99 here :WHOA:. Im assuming its the shipping up the mountains that jacks up the prices. Anyone else have a similar situation? Its going to kill me to set up a new tank and pay double on all the fish I stock
What area did you move to? I have lived here all my life and I can tell you in general the prices are high because there is a very big lack of competition. There's just not very many places to buy fish.
A few big box stores,but very few specialty shops.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Are there any local fish clubs in your area?
I find I can get 5 fish from members of our local club, at the cost of 1 in a store, sometimes cheaper.
And often times members have much rarer or interesting species than stores do, or are able to do group orders that can seriously reduce cost of species a store won't consider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store