Post your DIY Sump pics

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have 2 tanks I will be setting up on sump filtration (125 gallon & 155 gallon). For freshwater, are most of you running baffles or more of an open setup? I have a spare 30b & 55 that I plan to use. Will most likely be housing central or South American cichlids moderately stocked in the 125 & Bichirs & Dats in the 155.

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
The left sump is set up like this for filter socks and one return pump. The other has another return pump and is sectioned in half for a refugium

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427469764.436386.jpg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I made a weird one on my 90

uploadfromtaptalk1427470101830.jpg
40b sump. Diy 6 drawer acrylic wetdry trickle tower with 2 mechanical media compartments, 4 sponge filters, 2 150w heaters, and a mesh box full of mbuna fry. Lots of pothos. Diy acrylic sump lid.

uploadfromtaptalk1427470190389.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1427470205491.jpg
Drilled a 3rd hole in a reef ready tank to run a beananimal drain setup.
uploadfromtaptalk1427470246632.jpg
Top chamber is actually a baffled reservoir to keep the drains submerged for the siphon
uploadfromtaptalk1427470339559.jpg
A deconstructed pic from early in the build process.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I made a weird one on my 90

View attachment 1066884
40b sump. Diy 6 drawer acrylic wetdry trickle tower with 2 mechanical media compartments, 4 sponge filters, 2 150w heaters, and a mesh box full of mbuna fry. Lots of pothos. Diy acrylic sump lid.

View attachment 1066885
View attachment 1066886
Drilled a 3rd hole in a reef ready tank to run a beananimal drain setup.
View attachment 1066887
Top chamber is actually a baffled reservoir to keep the drains submerged for the siphon
View attachment 1066892
A deconstructed pic from early in the build process.

That is pretty elaborate!

Is it noisy? Seems like it would be.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I was going to have the inlets feed through 2 filter socks, then a wall divider of Poret Foam (Hamburg-Matten style) to act as more mechanical with some Bio capability. After the divider I want my bio media (rings or bio balls) in bags stacked, then maybe another Poret Foam divider before the return pump.

Does that make sense?

I just see everyone else using the glass or acrylic as offset baffles and wonder if all that is necessary.

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
hardly a completely DIY sump but i did some modifications to the wet/dry on my 110 gallon tank. i have access to a good amount of scrap acrylic pieces, a CNC router and other various materials at work so i took the opportunity to use them. i cut 3 strips of acrylic and used a heat gun to form them into 2 risers, one to raise the egg crate holding the bio balls and the other for the drip tray, the third strip was longer and used to make a chamber to raise the lid with more layers of filter pads and contain the bio balls that are now piled high above the original rim of the wet/dry sump. the purpose of this mod was to allow more water in the tank and filter as well as give me more room to pack submerged bio media below the bio balls. next tank tho i'll have a fully DIY sump for you guys

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
That is pretty elaborate!

Is it noisy? Seems like it would be.

Dead silent. The only noise is the faintly audible low pitched drone from the mag9.5 and a little overflow noise from the weir since I'm pushing about 700gph through the single overflow but you've got to get your head up close to it to hear it. No drain noise whatsoever. The cabinet is insulated for heat retention but seems to help with whatever decibels are in the cabinet.

Baffles are for the birds. Or at least saltwater tanks. Lol

The setup you described sounds perfect.

I recommend keeping a couple air driven sponge filters in the sump. They have come in handy when I needed to setup a quarantine tank, cycle a new tank, or be put in a tank that had a canister fitler failure (while I waited on parts in the mail)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store