Rate my seams!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Was hoping someone experienced with acrylic repair can tell me how bad these seams are compared to what they have seen. My stingray got pregnant the other day and I am wondering if I can delay the tank take down and reseal I was planning on doing in 2 weeks until she delivers. Something tells me I should just risk it and do it, just don't have the best temp home for them while I do it, don't want that to deter her first pregnancy. Anyway, take a look, let me know what you think, I am leaning towards just getting it done. Tank is 24" high 1/2" thick acrylic.

IMG_20150326_121159.jpg

That milky white on the inside I think is a small separation. The tank has had small ones ever since I got it, on that seam in particular those lines occupy a bit over 50% of the seam, but these ones are not spreading much if at all, less than a mm thick. Not every seam has these, but those that do range from 0-50% of the line occupying the seam, 20% on average on those that do have them.

IMG_20150326_115939.jpg

This is a crack that has been inside the pane of acrylic since I had gotten the tank. Though the crack hasn't spread a single bit, there is some crazing forming around it.

IMG_20150326_115626.jpgIMG_20150326_115650.jpg

Couple shots from outside and then inside of the same seam. How bad is the separation lines? Or is it just crazing I am seeing since it is on the outside and not the inside of the tank?

IMG_20150326_113429.jpgIMG_20150326_113655.jpg

These guys are what I am most concerned with. A friend of mine put a crack in the top brace on this side of the tank while moving it. It is eurobraced, the crack stems from the corner, I have drilled a hole to stop the spread, but there is some crazing forming around the hole now. Anyway, you see the white lines on the inside of the seem going from right to left? I am worried that if that is the beginning of a separation, those are a mm or two away from reaching the outside of the tank. I think this might be the worst of what I am dealing with, am I right on that or is this just minor wear similar to crazing? These are on the same side as cracked brace, I wish the tank was more level but in moving I wasn't able to get it 100%, like 90% good though.

What do you guys think? Bad? Middle of the road? Nothing to worry about? Let me know if you guys think I should take down and repair ASAP or wait till my baby delivers her babies.

Thanks.

IMG_20150326_113429.jpg

IMG_20150326_113655.jpg

IMG_20150326_115626.jpg

IMG_20150326_115650.jpg

IMG_20150326_115939.jpg

IMG_20150326_121159.jpg

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I would do the tip and pour just for piece of mind and simplicity.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Yup I'll be doing it asap, just weighing my options if it can wait 4 months. Literally ordered my last 2 pints of weldon 2 seconds ago, hopefully 8 pints will do the trick, 4 longest seams are 7 feet long each so I hope 1 pint each for those seams will be enough or I may be in a bit of trouble lol.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Yup I'll be doing it asap, just weighing my options if it can wait 4 months. Literally ordered my last 2 pints of weldon 2 seconds ago, hopefully 8 pints will do the trick, 4 longest seams are 7 feet long each so I hope 1 pint each for those seams will be enough or I may be in a bit of trouble lol.
I'm sure that's enough. It's just going to determine the thickness of the seam.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Alright, I think I'm gonna dive in head first and do it. Aiming for April 10th. Almost went crazy and started doing it today, just cooled my head a bit. Do you sand with tip and pour method? I think some so and some don't, I'll do it if it really makes a difference. Also how long after I do the very last seam can I go ahead and set the tank up again and have it safe for the bond and the fish? Say I'm done Monday night, preferably i would like to put it up anywhere from Friday night to Sunday morning, but I'm worried about strength of the cure and being fish safe.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Looks like normal wear and tear to me..nothing to lose sleep over imo. I def would not pull a prego ray either. Weld-on #40 is not a quick fix or easy process... cure time is a full 72hrs and itell take a good week or two to tip and pout the whole tank as you can only do 1-2 seams a day with cure times. It takes a good 30min to an hour to even set up enough to where u can move it and pour another seam. I usually wait 2-3 weeks after glueing to refill the tank. Plan it out, take ur time and do it right.... sanding is also necessary to prep the tank, clean with nail polish remover with a mild acetone also before u glue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wednesday - even the two last pics I said I was most concerned over? The one with the white line going through the top corner panels with that bubble and the continuing almost to the outside of the tank? Straight up that is the only one that I do lose sleep over. Rest i dont think are too much of a big deal, crazing on the hole in the crack either, but that one and kind of the other picture with it do have me worried.

My plan was to pour first one 6 am and do 4 a day. For three days i wanted to just hammer through it, even if my last pour is 12 pm. Never worked with this stuff at all, so if you are telling me that is not a possibility then I will extend my schedule of repair for sure. Just don't want to keep the ray in her temp home for too long.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
And this one worries me a bit.

uploadfromtaptalk1427566418994.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
And this one worries me a bit.

View attachment 1067052

Thats nothin man lol...ive seen repaired far worse. Normal wear and tear imo. Maybe i just cant make out the terrible area ur referring too but if i cant see it in a pic im thinkin its not as bad as you think. Id wait until the fem ray had her pups, get her eating again then strip the tank down if ur worried. No use having her abort with the stress of moving back and forth for repairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks a lot Wednesday.

uploadfromtaptalk1427586636124.jpg

This guy, you see the white line starting from the right, making its way past the side panel to the right towards the right of my tank, i worry about this being a tiny separation, when the white line hits the end of the side panel will that not cause a small leak?

uploadfromtaptalk1427586652308.jpg

This guy I am most worried about. See the same white line on the right, and then there is a bubble within the side panel, and then the white line goes further towards the left after, almost to the end of the tank. I am worried that it won't take long for the white line to go all the way to the end, again, would that start a bad separation? These are both on the same side of the crack on my brace you helped me with. The hole i drilled is 1/4", and is showing crazing directly opposite the crack, doubt I can get a pic of it though. I feel like this side has a lot of stress against it. If you feel like these guys will last the 4 months it will take for her to do her thing, I like that answer the best and would prefer just to concentrate on giving her a good pregnancy. Thanks for the help man.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store