My Arowana question !

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
So i recently purchased a beautiful silver arowana at 12" long. Soon i realized she wasn't really into pellets, a week past by and she would try a pellet here and there but nothing special. Now, i decided to chop off some Tilapia, soacked it in garlic extract and Vita Chem vitamins for 2 days. So when i lift the glass lid on my tank, i soon realized that she was familiar with that motion, when that tilapia just hit the surface of the water, this thing just bolts and chums down one after another....... Now my real question is, is it really that bad not having an arowana on pellet diet? Vita Chem + Garlic extract + Tilapia a bad diet? Lmk please, Thanks

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Its not the end of the world if your aro never takes to pellet , as long as you mix up its fresh foods and use a variety of different things , my LFS has a eight year old Asian aro that has never ate pellets , but its become a pain as they have to either buy in mealworms or breed them for him :banghead:
If you can get your aro onto dry its so much easier during feeding , no time spent defrosting or chopping. Theres a few techniques you can use to get your aro onto pellets , like mentioned above stuff pellets into fresh food or season it with crushed pellets to get it used to taste and texture of pellets , you could always starve your aro onto pellets as its 12" it'll be fine for couple of weeks , it won't starve to death survival instinct kicks in and they take the food eventually (its just a case of who breaks first you or the aro :)) good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Try feeding the pellets and splashing them onto the surface, in the wild thats an instinctual reaction to attack whatever hits the water. Maybe he'll go for it when u do that. Mine was finicky at first but now he gose aftet anything I toss in. Its a 23" black , eating hikari pelletd floating and sinking, cut squid rings, mysis and blood worms. Over time he will get used to the fact of not being so picky!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
I tried the stuffing the pellets inside the tilapia idea and the funny part was when she would crunch down on the tilapia repeatedly untill the pellet was crushed out of it , then he will swallow the tilapia and tank was left behind with a million crums of New life spectrum pellet particles........ u have no idea how irritating to me is to see food particles in the tank.. this little sucker. Now what i did was i cut 5 tilapia pieces , put them in a container soaked in garlic extract + Chemi vitamins . She just hate New life spectrum pellets, along with all my other fish. Only pellets they enjoy are Sinking Carnivore pellets and Carnisticks from Hikari. Havent had any luck with NLS pellets...

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Now that you know it will eat. Stpo feeding the tilapia until after it eats pellets.

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
My arowana seems to eat everything..I feed him crickets three times a week , pellets three times a week and the last day bloodworms or shrimp ... Shove pellets into his meal , he will starve himself a bit then start eating it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store