Calling all huge tanks 500+ gallons

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
For all of you guys with large tanks...500+ gallons. Upon first startup was your water kinda yellow/brownish? If so, for how long? All of my params are right, fish are all healthy and eating like horses. I have a drip system running. The sand is new, some of the wood is new. I did wash the sand really good, and soaked most of the tannins out of the wood. Was just curious how long it might take to be crystal clear. I'm not running UV, do you think maybe the white background is playing a part on showing through? Running 2 100 micron socks, I have 50's on the way. I have 2 shop lights with 8000k bulbs, thinking of switching to a 6' 10,000k led light. I think that color temp with 8400 lumen should light the tank a little better? Any opinions? Tank has been up and running for about a month, I do have some diatoms still but they seem to be dispersing slowly.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
What does the size of the tank have to do with the question? Do you think if it was "just" a 180 things would somehow be different?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I Don't have a tank anywhere near that size (yet), but I can tell you that 10K lighting will probably give you green water(algae bloom).

I think you still got tannins and its noticeable in a tank of this depth. Purigen may be your answer to get that water cleared.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I guess size is irrelevant...I did put carbon in the sump so hope that will help. I'm waiting it out, lol...was just curious how many others experienced this and for how long it lasted. I thought about the purigen, if after a couple months it doesn't clear then I'll look into it. My 180 I had previous to this was clear as day long ways and that was just with 3 marine land 350's.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Yeah, I had issues with yellow tannin water when I had 9 pieces of driftwood in my tank. Purigen did clear it up overnight. But I decided to remove the wood. .it was too much.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I love tannin stained water, so will the Discus.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I don't mind it but I would much rather a clear tank. I think I'm just gonna ride it out and see where it goes. Let's get into lighting...no plants, what's better for the color of my fish? Looking at 2 fixtures, both led, 6' 6500k and a 10,000k fixture. Both are 8800 lumens. Both should light the tank really well but which will be crisper and show better color?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store