Blue-green cyano out of control, and I don't know what to do!

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
So, I've been having lots of trouble with this stuff, and I don't know what to do. I've been doing water changes, black-outs, and siphoning the sheets out, but it always seems to come right back! I've seen several sources say certain things and others say other things. I don't know what to buy, or do. Whether to use hydrogen peroxide or stuff from a retailer. What should I do?:1zhelp:

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try increased aeration, reduce the amount of time the lights are on is this a planted tank? What type of lights are you useig and what is the spectrum? Also how much light do you have and what size is your tank? Posphate absorbing media should be used in your filter as high phospates are one of the main culprits associated with cyanobacteria. Also erythromycin is effective at eliminating cyanobacteria as it is very useful against gram positive bacteria but it will also have a negative impact on your nitrofying bacteria, so you would need to save some seeded media for use after treatment. However once the CB is eliminated the root cause must be addressed, back to the high phosphate.

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
try breaking up your light cycle into smaller on periods set further apart. better water flow might help as well as i've noticed it tends to form in areas of lower water movement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store