Saltwater Setup Help!

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
Hello everyone,
For the past years I have always kept large freshwater tanks with monster fish, but I have been thinking a lot of maybe changing one of my current tanks to a saltwater tank. The tank is 200cm x 60cm x 60cm which is 720 litres or 180 gallons. I have never kept a saltwater tank so I have no clue how to prepare the filtration. My objective with this tank is too have a very simple tank with sand and some rocks to keep 2 or 3 Pterois Volitans (lion fish).

My questions are the following:

1) Can I use my canister filters in a saltwater tank? (1x FX5 and 1x FX6 available to use)
2) Exactly what materials and machinery/equipment do I need and how do I set them up?

Thank You
ReisAntonio

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
1) You can, but it's not recommended.
2) Look up a protein skimmer (it's a must for larger predatory fish), as well as algal turf scrubber. It's also recommended that you get some circulation pumps for the 180 gallon.

On the link Thekid provided, make sure you specifically look up FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock), as this seems to be the type of tank you seem to be going for.

You'll want about an inch or less of sand, and a large amount of rocks (approximately the same # of pounds as the gallonage, i.e. 180 pounds of rock for 180 gallon aquarium), as well as able to make cave structures for the lionfish to reside in.

Good Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store