My Gold Oscar......

tsmith50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2015
charlotte nc
I'd like to know why the edges of his fins are faded , sort of like a white color. He would look a lot better if his tail fin and dorsal fin were colored all the way through.
Thanks, Tony

March 1,2015 009.jpg

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
That's a sharp looking oscar. It looks like his colors darken near his head, do you have any pics of his front?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The fin edges look typical I've seen many youg Os with that transparent edge. The fish looks like regular red. Do you have any other picture under normal lighting? Nice looking fish either way.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice o man

I always thought the whiteness was new growth

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Nice o man

I always thought the whiteness was new growth
Yes the faded part is new growth in a young/juvie oscar. It will fade in time. It is actually a good thing to see and a good sign of a developing fish. On my red it is the same, even at one year old, though starting disappear. You can kind of see it on my avatar photo. On my Bumblebee O though the faded part has turned orange, which is very cool. He is a little older than a year at this point.

Your O looks great. Very healthy guy.

tsmith50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2015
charlotte nc
Thanks for the insight Poseidon2.0, makes me think I'm giving him the best shot at becoming a " stunner ".
I'd really like to see pics of your Bumblebee.....I tried to raise one sometime ago with very little success.
By the way, what are you feeding yours ? I have mine on Hikari Cichlid Gold and some Tetra sun dried krill as a treat every once in a while.

I went on another site and they actually suggested occasionally offering frozen peas to help with digestion....... ever heard of anything like that ? I haven't tried it yet though.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
A skinned crushed pea or two will keep the digestive system moving, it acts as a laxative, although O's generally don't have an issue in that area. Omega One super veggie pellets are good to include in the diet too or as an alternative to peas. Hakari bio-gold pluse is OK too but NLS is better as a staple IMO with higher inclusion rate of garlic. Your fish looks great.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
A skinned crushed pea or two will keep the digestive system moving, it acts as a laxative, although O's generally don't have an issue in that area. Omega One super veggie pellets are good to include in the diet too or as an alternative to peas. Hakari bio-gold pluse is OK too but NLS is better as a staple IMO with higher inclusion rate of garlic. Your fish looks great.
+1 nls is the way to go compare the ingredients. I used to feed mix of nls, omega one, omega one veggie, chic peas, peas, and krill soaked in boyds vitachem

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store