New Kelberi got cloudy eyes

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Went to pick up my 4 kelberi today and did notice that 2 of them had like a white/cloud looking film over one of there eyes! The chap said they get that come when his water is old and needs a water change! I had the cichla and now in my tank" iv noticed all have a cloudy eye or two!!

Whots the Best treatment? or will my new nitrate free water do all the healing and make the bass eyes go clear!

thanks

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I rescued a kelberi around this time last year with completely clouded eyes. It could still see movement but poor eyesight. Likely from severe ammonia burn.
I followed advice on this board and did 2 X weekly water changes and light salt. Clean water and time. It looks a lot better now and can see just fine. I think the eyes are so sensitive when damaged clean water is by far the most important thing. It can take a while to clear up so stick with it.

If it's from an infection you'll likely need to treat, I'm sure Aquanero or somebody will come with by with recommendations and dosing. For now make sure that water is clean.

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
I rescued a kelberi around this time last year with completely clouded eyes. It could still see movement but poor eyesight. Likely from severe ammonia burn.
I followed advice on this board and did 2 X weekly water changes and light salt. Clean water and time. It looks a lot better now and can see just fine. I think the eyes are so sensitive when damaged clean water is by far the most important thing. It can take a while to clear up so stick with it.

If it's from an infection you'll likely need to treat, I'm sure Aquanero or somebody will come with by with recommendations and dosing. For now make sure that water is clean.
Thanks for advice buddy! The chap was in the process of moveing out! for last few weeks!! so my thort he let his water go bad" did check his water and was very low ph! so probley build up of nitrates!!

Whot type of salt?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
You can buy aquarium salt but there's cheaper options. I use rock or kosher salt. I've even used dirt cheap solar salt for the softeners, just make sure no additives.

You don't need much. Remember it doesn't evaporate so after your initial dose only add more relative to the volume of water in your water changes.

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
You can buy aquarium salt but there's cheaper options. I use rock or kosher salt. I've even used dirt cheap solar salt for the softeners, just make sure no additives.

You don't need much. Remember it doesn't evaporate so after your initial dose only add more relative to the volume of water in your water changes.
Yes dont really wont to add aquatic salt" like tropic marine becouse will make my KH and TDS go up as my water is high enough! Will try rock salt buddy!
Whot measures? Did read on a forum that about 1 table spoon per 5 gals of water!

tomka123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2013
burlington, nc
1 tablespoon of non-iodine salt per gallon. You can get at the grocery store for $1-$2. Change water 50% every day & re-dose salt (& of course ammonia reducer) every change because obviously the salt will not be in the new water you put in. Do not do a bacterial treatment unless this doesn't work. You will kill good bacteria, not just bad bacteria. Depending on how bad the eyes are this will take a week or more to see improvement…

tomka123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2013
burlington, nc
I was traveling for a week on business last week & when I came home my wife pointed this fish out to me:
IMG_0779.jpg
One week later of doing what I said above, here is a picture I just took of the same fish:
IMG_0002_2.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0002_2.jpg

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
I was traveling for a week on business last week & when I came home my wife pointed this fish out to me:
View attachment 1067390
One week later of doing what I said above, here is a picture I just took of the same fish:
View attachment 1067391
Thats a big difrence in how his eye looks after a week! Trouble is the 50% water change every day for me mate! i use a 60/40 R/O and tap water! And tanks around 230gals! my R/O unit wont do that much water everyday!
Did you not use Melifix to go with salt!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store