Catfish for a 285g Tank

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Hey guys,
I have a 285g tank that I am looking to put some catfish in. The footprint is 84"x30". They will be with some polypterus ranging from 6"-23" so I'd want something that won't eat the smaller ones, but won't itself get eaten by my larger polypterus. It is not heavily decorated, but I do have some driftwood in the tank however it is elevated of the bottom so there is plenty enough room to swim and turn around. Also I might like the idea of a small school of some cats if possible. I would like them to be able to be housed in there for life (and not crammed in there for life, but in there comfortably). Also if it is something I might have to grow-out I'm ok with that as long as it doesn't take 2-3 years to grow-out to 6"-8". Thanks Again

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
How about four line pimelodella (not sure on spelling) they get a decent size and do well in schools. Not too expensive either. Or most synodontis will work too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
How about four line pimelodella (not sure on spelling) they get a decent size and do well in schools. Not too expensive either. Or most synodontis will work too.

ok cool I'll look into them. Anyone else have any suggestions?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Rapps has bolt catfish

jeon26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2015
CA/IN
A gulper cat is very space efficient, although it may try to swallow just about anything it sees!

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
how big do sun cats get? I did a quick search and am seeing from 8"-18" Also do you think a 5" or 6" one would be safe? I am not too familiar with them so not really sure on how they would hold up in my tank with large polys. Also I've read conflicting statements on the shovel nose to so a ballpark max size for them would be awesome to. Thanks so far for the help guys I really appreciate it.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Vulture catfish are cool and stay smaller I think.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store