Excess current damaging???

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Hey everyone I put a rio 2500 sump pump I found at the lfs I work at in my 80 gallon to help stir up debris and give fish exercise. They all disliked the excess current greatly so I stopped after a few days. It's been a few weeks now and I've noticed my opsariichthys Evolans (rare barb) is swimming crooked as if his spine is crooked/at a angle whenever he turns... Looks uncomfortable even watching him... Any thoughts guys?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
No idea about the fish's spine. Could have been injured by current or ran into the tank wall. Hard to begin guessing without pics. As far as a tank having too much current, that can definitely be a problem that can wear fish to death. A strong current is OK provided the tank has current breaks. Plants, rocks, and driftwood can provide needed current breaks so the fish aren't constantly trying to negotiate river rapids.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
No idea about the fish's spine. Could have been injured by current or ran into the tank wall. Hard to begin guessing without pics. As far as a tank having too much current, that can definitely be a problem that can wear fish to death. A strong current is OK provided the tank has current breaks. Plants, rocks, and driftwood can provide needed current breaks so the fish aren't constantly trying to negotiate river rapids.
Alright well the current is gone and has been gone. Do u think it'll come back to normal? PS it only becomes crooked when he turns. Here's some picsImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427591392.960121.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427591437.753779.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427591453.396625.jpgheres a pic a month ago when he was perfect these pics I just snapped suckImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427591504.939830.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store