Venting RTC and max size

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Does anyone know if it's possible to vent or sex a redtail?

Also, I saw in a couple other forums that there's a theory, not proven, the males max out around 36" while females reach 5-6'+. Has anyone heard of this or have any supporting evidence? Either way mine is going in a 14' round pool (4600g), I'm more curious.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
AFAIK, there is no sure, easy way to sex an RTC from external features. If one has a bunch, the females tend to be fuller bodied. That's all, IIRC. It's vague.

Max size info must be wrong. I've never heard it depend on gender.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Since there have been no proven theory as to how to sex an RTC. I doubt venting is a credible source to go off of. Although I am not completely sure. And as far as max sizes go. I've seen many captive RTC max around 36-48 inches and rarely see them over 48 inches unless in a pond setting that is more than sufficient for them such as the one you suggest. With the few RTC I've owned I've noticed that some grow better than others and some get bigger quicker when I've owned multiple RTC at a time. Not sure if it was a dominance over food thing or if it was that females grew at a quicker rate than males.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So I guess I'll stick with calling namazu a boy. :p

I can imagine just like any other animal there's going to be an average size difference between males and females, but a difference of a couple feet sounded a little far fetched for such a well documented fish

The future pond for those wanting to see
http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606831

Sent from my 831C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store