glass rimmed tank on floor with shims?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Is it ok to set my sump, a 135g rimmed tank, directly on the floor with a shim in the corner to eliminate the slight inperfection in my floor? Will it fail? It will be filled 50 to 60%

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I'd put some sort of buffer between it and the floor, maybe a small 2x4 square and then shim that. The floor will probably settle over time, I'd want something between the two to pick up tjr slack

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
What kind of floor?
Linoleum.

The main issue is space. There isn't a lot of space under my tank and sump is 24.5" high. I have some spare 1x4, but only want to do that is necessary.

Would a 1x4 board under each side and one in the center work?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Still looking for advice. If shimming the tank is acceptable that is an infinitely better solution.

I would have loved to have built a bigger stand, but it wouldn't fit through the door when I move into my own house in ~two years.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Molding works great if your looking for things that are under 1" thick for adjustment purposes.

I have a strip under one side of one of my sumps for this purpose.

Have you verified what your subfloor is comprised of? Usually linoleum is just laid on top of plywood with not much else under it.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Yeah. Its linoleum over linoleum over plywood over 2x6's.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right now the sump is flat in all but one corner. That corner is elevated by ~3mm. I stuck a hard plastic shim under the corner but I don't know enough about aquarium integrity to decide if this is enough. Its probably that or three 1x4's underneath it.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
What about just like some 3/4" or 7/8" plywood, you could get a big piece and cut it to the rigjt length and width, it would be low enough but still provide even support. Then you could just pound shims in around where necessary.

I was always afraid to shim tanks directly, I had a bad stand once and I came close to shimming underneath the rim but decided it might put too much pressure or stress in that spot. I guess I'm kind of speculating here, you very well may be fine without the plywood

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store