post your creative filter sock holders

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I've been mulling over a few ideas for a pair of diy filter sock holders for the sump I'm building. Anyone have any creative ideas? Let's see what you've got!

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
I just overpaid on a couple 7" sock holders from BRS....I was tired of fabricating parts for my set up at that point lol.

Apparently a PVC coupling for 6" pipe fits a 7" sock very well...I have seen them used on the inter web b4...you could easily cut one using a jig saw

Ultimately I am glad I just bought mine.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I haven't used it for socks but we have lots of heavy guage, low carbon 316 stainless wire at work, and lots of it ends up in the trash. It's used for linking foodgrade conveyor belts together.

I'm contemplating swiping some out of the trash and bending some loops.

It wouldn't be fully submerged and in a freshwater setup the stuff would never corrode or rust. I spray the stuff with phosphoric acid and some really mean chlorinated caustic cleaners at work. And it's fine lol.

I think it would be a good simple option.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I got some 4" PVC pipe, then slipped a toilet flange on the bottom end so it would have a wide base (not tip over)
I had my daughter sew me some filter socks, I just used felt made from a sythenthetic material at JoAnn's Fabric store. I think it is polyester. And the thread was polyester too (I think cotton might rot). When I have a lot of "used" socks, I put them through the washing machine with no soap.

The homemade socks slip into the 4" PVC, I fold over the tops of the socks to prevent them from falling in.

Edit.. I forgot to say.. I drilled many 1/2" holes in the sides of the PVC pipe so the water could escape easily from the socks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store