How long to separate female?

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
My male has been trying to breed my female but so far he has been unsuccessful. He doesn't chase her 24/7 but the female has gotten some Nice chunks taken out of her but no where near as bad as some of the pictures that I have seen here on MFK. That being said, she has gone off her normal feed routine and only spends a lot of time hidden in the sand, which she has never really done before. I plan on separating them with some egg crate but how long should I separate them and how long does it typically take the females to heal up? After my male learns to how breed successfully, are the following courtships as rough? Should I do anything once they are separated to help her heal faster other than my normal water changes?

topkat20

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
manchester
i would keep them apart until she is eating normally as for the bite they will heal up pretty quickly depending on severity of the wound just keep an eye on her and put her back with the when you feel she is ready

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Yup keep her eating, dont let her get skinny.

This may be normal breeding behavior just depends on the pair. Some pairs i can leave together for longer periods some i have to separate immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store