Polypterus delhezi info

Thatfishboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Northern indiana
Hello, I got this polypterus delhezi about a week ago and he is doing fine at about 3"! He is eating and has some nice colors. I was just wondering if you guys would drop some info on these guys such as: max size, favorite food, tank mates, tank size and such. thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
The max size should be around 12"-14" however 12" is about where it should stop (maybe even around 10"). As far as favorite food I know tilapia is widely accepted as well as hikari pellets. For tank mates this is kind of a bland answer, but anything that it won't eat, won't eat it, or won't be aggressive towards the polys should be fine. That includes a plethora of choices. Some popular ones seem to be gar, knife fish, leaf fish, and numerous amounts of catfish. The thing about tank size you should really look for is the foot print. I would suggest nothing smaller than an 18" width and 4' length to house it for life, but you can grow it out in something a little smaller if you prefer and just transfer it to a larger tank once you think it's time.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
In my experience, any large bodied fish that isn't aggressive, and NO plecos! They constantly harass bichirs for their slime.

One of my delhezis attempted to eat my geophagus, which was obviously too large to eat, but it still tried.

Need to up the shrimp at night.
My dels live shrimp pellets that sink, or real shrimp chopped up, but only when the red lights are on, they seem to sleep during peak lighting.

I've kept bichirs in all sorts of sized tanks, 10s 20s 40s 55 60 75 and finally a 120. HUGE difference in activity, could also be my lights, it dims and brightens randomly as if clouds were passing and the bichirs are acting like I've never seen before.

They certainly don't pace back and forth like they would in smaller aquariums like a 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store