Reef to River

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
A few weeks ago I moved my fish from my reef tank into my saltwater pond and started to turn my reef into a NY native aquarium. I will be upgrading my saltwater pond this summer and will move my natives into the old pond. Maybe I will do a outdoor pond.

I finished the aquascaping with the exception of the substrate and plants. Below are pictures of plants I collected, if someone can ID them for me that will be great. My planned stock is a couple of chain pickerel, a couple shortnose sturgeons and ~6 rock bass.

Tank Information
265 gallons 7ftx2ftx?ft
40 gallon sump

Water Circulation
Jebao wp252x Aqueon HOB filters
mag9 (return pump)

Lighting
3x 120watt LEDs (blue/white)

Other
36 watt UV sterilizer
Hydro Fill auto top off (this will be used for an automatic water changing system)

Here are the plants. An ID will be great. The fluffy looking moss one covers the bottom of the pond.

The pictures with the blue and white lights didn't come out that great. Here is a whites only picture.

Blue and whites

Reactions: AR577

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Cool tank, but I'd do some more different species. Maybe some other sunfish instead of just rock bass. Also, Shortnose sturgeon are federally endangered so I don't it's legal to own one.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I`m not up on my plants but agree with yours being a cool tank. Rocks bass are like the NA oscar, imo. Gluttonous little buggers. You could afford to add a catfish for variety and maybe swap out some of the planned rock bass for crappie. Post some pics as you start to add your fish if you can.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
You are right about the sturgeon. Maybe I will get a diamond one and call it invasive.

My stock list is very flexible. I am not into fishing so I decided on rock bass and chain pickerel because I can easly catch them from shore. Pumpkinseeds are cool looking and i can get them pretty easily. I also like yellow perches but I am not sure if I will be able to catch them.

I found a pond in the middle of the woods in PA that had some cool looking fish. Water was real clear. There are some abandoned RVs from the 60's or 70's, so they who ever was there might of stocked it with intresting stuff. I want to bring my dive gear there and see what I can get.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
This might be a pretty neat end product. Is there any reason to not choose a catfish? Those are pretty easy to catch.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
For the past week I have been walking around the pond and seen no fish or snails. I wanted to let my plants establish for a few weeks so I wasn't really looking to collect anything just see what is around. After finding nothing at the pond, I stopped at the petshop to see what they had. I found a couple of brown bullheads of there. I wanted to collect all the fish for the tank but I took the easy route and purchased the bullheads.

[video=youtube;K09hw_O5kR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K09hw_O5kR4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

makbarracuda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
virginia
Doesn't look like a bullhead tome...I'm gonna say its a white catfish which would be a cool find

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Yes, the sturgeon are endangered so cross them off your list. Do the catfish have 4 white barbels under their lower jaw and a forked tail? It's hard to see in your video.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
Yes the catfish has 4 white barbels. I am pretty sure it's a white catfish. I posted some better pictures below. The fish store had 3 of these guys in. At first I bought 2 of them. I then felt bad breaking the crew up and went back and bought the third. I picked up some Japanese trapdoor snails. Even though they are not technically a native species at some point an invasive species becomes native. I think these snails have it that point. In the morning I saw a small spiral snail on one the large snails. The shell looks different then the others so it might be a different type of snail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store