Quick play sand question!!

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
I have used pool filter sand in my tanks for years. You need to clean it EXTREMELY well before you put it into the tank because it contains lots of dust and dirt that mix into the water. The stuff i use is no longer available so im not sure what the best DIY sand on the market is at this time but im sure someone else can comment on that.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are 2 problems with play sand.
When new, it is very light and is easily stirred up, because of this, it can enter pump volutes and ruin pumps.
After some time in the tank, it tends to compact and become like cement, and adhere to the glass.

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
Thats why pool filter sand works better. Play sand will have a lot more dust/dirt. Even with PFS i had to wash it out with maybe 50+ gal of water with 1-2 hours of mixing and cleaning. Its takes a lot of work to clean it out but after you do it comes out nice.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
After like 4 years of getting on my nerves I can finally say that I like play sand.

Even after an extraordinary amount of rinsing it was still dusty and silty in the tank. After a long time it was fine, I like it. ... but I'd never ever do it again

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I tried play sand, this is what happened to my pump impeller.

the shaft is supposed to be equal diameter throughout.
Because I have medium sized cichlids, their normally activity would stir it up, and it would get sucked up into filters, and eat away at pumps.
To me it is not worth the trouble.
PFS is much heavier, enough so, that normal fish activity does not allow it to be sucked up. Well worth the extra dollar or 2 for a 50lb bag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store