Setting up a Sand Filter for 240g Freshwater (question about Nitrate Reduction)

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
So I have a 240g that I'm setting up with a wet/dry 70g sump. I have more pump than I know what to do with right now (Laguna Max-flow 4280) and so I was thinking about building a fluidized sand filter out of some clear 3" or 4" PVC that takes some output and feeds it back into the sump.

My question is: I would really like to explore the possibility of creating an anaerobic area towards the top of sand column to reduce nitrates, with the assumption that the taller the filter, the more likely I can establish an area in the filter that is devoid of O2, that may support this.

So anyone have any ideas concerning ideal or min height and what flow rate (numerical or visual) I should be shooting for? I was also thinking about how to outgas the return water since it would have the potential to contain nitrogen gas(someone was saying H2SO4 was concern), among other possible nasty stuff. (Still reading up on the chemistry, as I'm an electrical engineer that sometimes moonlights as a Chemie at work). As far as the H2SO4 protection goes, maybe run the water through a medium that would buffer it (calcium containing media?). H2SO4 scares me the most, as even 1ml will dramatically drop PH unless your solution is very well buffered.

See for some explanation of the process:
http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869P/C...c.edu/microtextbook/metabolism/RespAnaer.html

Anyhow, I have seen a few people posting about them and while I don't want to just go pure Sand w/o a sump, I really like the idea of having the possibility of having a method to control nitrates... outside of putting some plants in my sump.

Idea for the Sand Filter:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?208356-My-DIY-bio-tube-filter...thing

Basically, building this w/ clear PVC and maybe some type of tower for out-gassing and for buffering?

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/FluidizedSandFilter.html

A commercial model.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a fluidized aragonite reactor I built from clear PVC, it takes quite a bit of flow to get the sand evn such light sand moving, which creates a fairly high oxygen environment throughout the reactor, too high for nitrate reduction.
It is about 4'tall, X 8" in diameter.

When first built, I had it capped, but found (even using a check valve) anytime I had a power outage, enough sand would back siphon into the influent line, a hassle to clean out.
So I uncapped it to make maintenance easier.
Around the same time I built a plenum for under the substrate of the tank from window screen, with 1" PVC as a framework. The area in the plenum was anoxic enough to work as a nitrate reduction area, but because all the fish were cichlids, they would dig down clearing enough substrate above the plenum, undermining the anoxic area.
I then considered adding a plenum to the barrel sump (in the first pic above), but found I could get enough nitrate reduction using pothos, and my regular water changes.
I don't think of water changes solely for nitrate reduction, but to replenish alkalinity for plants, and also the reduction and removal of excess fish hormones and other organic compounds detrimental to fish health.
So even if nitrate is low, I do water changes anyway.

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
I was also thinking about pothos for my sump for nitrate reduction (bought a shop light just for this purpose) and I also agree about the need for water changes, outside of using them for nitrate reduction....

I was thinking 4" and a similiar height of 4' for the fluidized filter.

Do you think maybe I could pull it off with more sand in the filter (your pics make it seem like you don't have that much aragonite in there?) and a higher pressure / lower flowrate with some course sand that might allow for the surface of the sand to not really be disturbed by the flow rate?

I guess I will just have to pull out the CC and get some clear PVC and start tinkering.... thanks for the info and experience with your setup

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It might work with more sand, especially if it was more dense. I know it looks like there isn't much, but I have about 4lbs of aragonite in the tube, maybe 1/4 is in suspension.
If I were to do it again I might try doing a plenum area in the bottom of the tube, and have the influent flow end higher up in the tube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store