Datnoids and discus

datnoids81806

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2011
Toronto
Are NTT and IT datnoids go well with discus? I really like discus but i like datnoids also so i want to know if they can keep together.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I've had both of them together before and had no problems (discuss are too big to fit into the dats mouths and dats don't bother other fish much). But I'd be cautious if you're adding NGTs with discuss tho'.

datnoids81806

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2011
Toronto
I've had both of them together before and had no problems (discuss are too big to fit into the dats mouths and dats don't bother other fish much). But I'd be cautious if you're adding NGTs with discuss tho'.
What about feeding time, are they go well at that moment? No I only like IT and NTT lol. I think NGT doesnt look good.

datnoids81806

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2011
Toronto
By the way, what kind of substrate did you use for the tank with discus and datnoids?

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
You should be fine then. Discuss tend to eat smaller types of food and the datnodis go for bigger morsels. For example, if you have a 5" dat and a 5" discuss, the dat would probably swallow a 3/4" piece of shrimp easily were as a discuss wouldn't (cause their mouths are smaller). So if you feed shrimp and blood worms, you're good. The dats will eat the shrimp and the discuss will eat the blood worms (usually used for really small dats). And my substrate is black sand.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Would not do it long term with IT. I've had big IT's and they were mean to any cichlid I put with them. These were big cichlids that had girth to them. I would imagine a big IT would try to put the discus through the glass some day. Discus, I don't think would be comfortable eating with IT's in a tank and would prob stunt if the discus were small and needing frequent daily feeding to grow properly. If I was determined to try to make it work for a while, I would get 6inch+ discus with 1 to 2inch IT's and cross my fingers for long term coexistence. If your tank was so overwhelmingly large where the discus could get lost, the %'s of success i'm sure would rise. I would keep the temp around 82 or 83 just to make sure the dat doesn't sweat it out if attemped

Never had a big NTT, so not sure of their attitudes towards cichlids esp a sensitive one

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I've had a large NTT. When it was smaller, you MIGHT be able to get away with housing it with discus. Once it hit about 9" it chased my dithers relentlessly until I added another semi aggressive fish to the tank. I would not recommend larger NTT with discus..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store