Odoe vs VATF

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
My 260 is empty just now and I'm trying to decide between these two. I believe odoe can be kept in groups, does the same go for the tiger? Can anyone give me some info on care/tank set up for both species? Would love to see pics from owners!

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
I have kept both and currently still have 2 10" odoes. And I like Vittatus better. Here's some pics of the VATF and my 2 odoes.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427689233.371511.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427689263.341920.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427689285.777997.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427689326.759677.jpg

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Odoe looks great mustard, can the two be kept together? I imagine the tiger would be more active but from your pictures the odoe looks better IMO.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Odoe looks great mustard, can the two be kept together? I imagine the tiger would be more active but from your pictures the odoe looks better IMO.
I've kept the two odoes together for the last 8 months with no problems. And the previous owner had them together since they were 4" and he didn't have any problems either. But if I was you I'd go with the Vittatus, you'll get bored of an odoe after awhile. They don't really do much but stay in one spot, and don't charge food when it hits the water like ATF do. But it's up to you.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I've no experience with vatf but I have one odoe, though he's my first so I'm not sure you want to take my experience into consideration. It's also very minimal since I only had him for maybe 3-4 months. His growth is around 1-1.5 inch a month. I got him at about 4 inches he's about 8 now give or take a little. He's a very eager eater with live. He loves the chase I'd say. But with anything else he's very gentle. I find it very interesting how it goes from being so aggressive predatory wise, then so gentle. As far as aggression towards tank mates, I've witnessed him chase the bala sharks once in a while. But non to any other tank mates. Which are a curupira, mala, ornate, lapradei, Raphael catfish. That's about as much as I got. Very relaxed fish. He eats till he has a bulge in his stomach lol. I'll get a pic later when I get back from school, I believe he's a male. Also mustardtiger101 your male is very stunning. Ever think of mating the two?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I've owned both and for your size tank I'd recommend the odoe. I enjoyed my vatf but they are larger growing and more skittish. I had a group of 5 odoe that were very fun to keep.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've owned both and for your size tank I'd recommend the odoe. I enjoyed my vatf but they are larger growing and more skittish. I had a group of 5 odoe that were very fun to keep.
Very good advice......

Whoever says they aren't eager to eat must not be keeping a group. I can barely feed my group and stay dry. They aren't shy at all. They hit carny sticks hard enough to make a pretty good mess splashing.

I have tried to keep groups of Tigers and it never ends up as well as a group of Odoe. I've kept several different groups of Odoe and all were able to be kept in perfect condition - always harmony amongst the group. IF I wanted a nice looking ATF I'd have to separate it from the others for a few months as there's always gashes, torn tails, tattered fins. And I find the ATF to be very shy when compared to Odoe at feeding time.

Tank size is the deal breaker...... I wouldn't even try a group of Tigers in a 260. I have a group of 3 in a 225 and can't get the 360 up fast enough. Yet the group of 7 Odoe seem content in a 150.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
My Odoe hit's the sticks hard and goes after freeze dried krill but then again like numerous of threads have mentioned, can't predict behavior. Some are aggressive while some are passive. It's the luck of the draw

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Thanks for the info guys, I think i'm going to go with 3 odoe and hopefully get myself some hard hitters! Do they like fast flowing water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store