New here and need help!!!

Corndoggy

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2015
Texas
Hello everyone I'm new to the monster fish scene and all I've ever delt with is cichlids. Ive decided I want to go big and got myself a silver arowana and two Oscar tank mates. The oscars are awesome and I have had no problem with them. But Ace (my aro) will only eat live goldfish and I want to break him of that but he is stubborn and WILL NOT even give thought to the pellets. I have them in a 75gal right now and filtration and Chem levels is not a problem. I've had him about a month now and I'm at wits end.... Any ideas or anyone with experience with advise will be greatly appreciated...

Kathryn1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2017
I dont really specialize in arrpwana's but am amazed with them and have done a ton of research. My best advice is move Oscars to a different tank (even if its a holding tank for now,) and do not feed him for a few days. Arrows are smart and spoiled easily fish, they will not let themselves starve to death. How big is Ace? Would love to see pictures. Also, is he trained for petting? My friends arrowana loves it when she pets him he will also hand feed for her. No one else is brave enough to even think about sticking their hands in his 450 gallon tank. Best of luck.

THE X

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
im also new to the site and i have the same problem my asian aro wont eat any thing other than super worms. so i starve mine and to get him to eat shrimp :D, other wise i feed the worms the pellets. But in your case i would say other wise, keeping the oscars MAY promote ace to eat since their is completion for food, but try feeding only pellets and see how that goes. also size is also a factor to consider. the bigger the stubborn and longer it goes with out food

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone I'm new to the monster fish scene and all I've ever delt with is cichlids. Ive decided I want to go big and got myself a silver arowana and two Oscar tank mates. The oscars are awesome and I have had no problem with them. But Ace (my aro) will only eat live goldfish and I want to break him of that but he is stubborn and WILL NOT even give thought to the pellets. I have them in a 75gal right now and filtration and Chem levels is not a problem. I've had him about a month now and I'm at wits end.... Any ideas or anyone with experience with advise will be greatly appreciated...

Welcome aboard☺ The 75 is too small you will have to upgrade asap. 2 Oscar's need over 100 gallons and has a big bioload. Silver Aro needs a aquarium over 400 gallon and need the width so they can turn comfortably btw Aro will outgrow 75 before 1 year.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store