help me!!!!

Corndoggy

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2015
Texas
Hello everyone I'm new to the monster fish scene and all I've ever delt with is cichlids. Ive decided I want to go big and got myself a silver arowana and two Oscar tank mates. The oscars are awesome and I have had no problem with them. But Ace (my aro) will only eat live goldfish and I want to break him of that but he is stubborn and WILL NOT even give thought to the pellets. I have them in a 75gal right now and filtration and Chem levels is not a problem. I've had him about a month now and I'm at wits end.... Any ideas or anyone with experience with advise will be greatly appreciated...

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
That 75 is going to get outgrown within 6 months more than likely.

The best method for pellet training is to starve them until they crack. Only offer pellets and eventually it will try them. It is highly unlikely that it will starve itself to death when food is present. It just takes patience. You can try a garlic product like 'garlicguard.' I've had varying success with it.

Long term that aro is going to need an 8' x 3' tank. This isn't just opinion--that is a two and a half to three foot fish youve got there.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Also, make sure you're feeding floating pellets. Most arowanas are resistent to bottom feeding and will abandon a chase for a sinking pellet that it dropping through the water. Jumbo carni-sticks are a great option.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Might have to find a way to keep the O's away tell it starts eating pellets. They are greedy little buggers and will eat everything in sight if you let them.

Corndoggy

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2015
Texas
Ya I lnow I will be getting a 300 gal pretty soon but want to make sure this lil f@cker will not die on me first. But I will deff try the garlicgaurd thanks

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
A 300 gallon is going be too small too.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Good job researching before buying.

Chen_JunJie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2015
Kaohsiung
Break the pellets & sticks to small pieces which can be easily chewed & swallowed for aro. Aro are messy eaters & they will chew & spit out if the pellets are too big & hard to chew...

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store