Salt tank?

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
I want to set up my first salt tank. I'm thinking maybe a 75 gallon, but I have numerous smaller tanks that I can use as well. The 75 I would be buying. I kinda want a predatory tank but I want more then one fish. Any help on what I need to get and what fish would work is greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
My dad and I decided we want to use our 30 gallon. What exactly do we need? First salt tank ever so need help

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
For a saltwater tank all u need is the tank and a filter and a heater and a hydro Meter honestly, a lot of people think SW tanks are difficult but it's the same as a FW set up just a little more steps, for a 30 gallon I would suggest just clown fish or neon gobys but if u do the 75 get a small snow flake eel and a dwarf lion fish!

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
Are there any predatory fish we could do? We would like to go that route if possible

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Are there any predatory fish we could do? We would like to go that route if possible
The snowflake eel and lion fish mentioned are fun predators to have. But, like a lot of predators, they are not very active except when eating. Also, unless you want to feed live food all the time they have to be target fed and tricked into eating dead food.

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
The snowflake eel and lion fish mentioned are fun predators to have. But, like a lot of predators, they are not very active except when eating. Also, unless you want to feed live food all the time they have to be target fed and tricked into eating dead food.
Are there any groupers ican keep in a 30? Any recommended stock lists? He wants colorful and active I want predatory( coming from fresh)and can I really just use a filter and a heater? How much live rock/sand will I need?i know I need a hydrometer. Should I buy saltwater or mix it myself?

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Are there any groupers ican keep in a 30? Any recommended stock lists? He wants colorful and active I want predatory( coming from fresh)and can I really just use a filter and a heater? How much live rock/sand will I need?i know I need a hydrometer. Should I buy saltwater or mix it myself?
I do not know of any groupers that could stay in that tank for life. Most get too big for all but the biggest home aquariums.

A lot depends on what you can afford. I would use live rock and whatever sand/crushed coral you like. I would also use a skimmer and UV if you can. The skimmer is more important, I would not run another tank without one. You might also need power heads for better circulation in the tank. It could be done with just a filter and heater but there are a lot of things that will make it easier on you and better for the fish. I am also of the opinion that bigger tanks are better tanks. They are more stable and give you more time to react to problems.

I would mix the salt myself. I think the premixed jugs of water are a scam, for most applications.

You can do predator with colorful community fish, like clowns. It has to be done carefully and be prepared to lose some expensive fish, even if done carefully. The lion fish can eat something much bigger than you would ever think.

Do some searching and reading on this sight and some of the saltwater sights. You will learn and retain a lot more. It helps if you can condense a lot of different sources of information into your knowledge base then make your own decisions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store