How many Oscars in a 240? Stocking suggestions?

Sneekit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Utah
I acquired a 240 gallon aquarium ( 8'x2'x2' ) It is now cycled and ready for fish. Was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on stocking Oscars?

I love oscars, have a couple big boys that are moving from my 125 to the 240. I do weekly 80% water changes ( thanks python hose )

The tank is a little bare right now, so forgive it's emptiness. Lots more driftwood incoming. Filtration includes a sump, and an external 1200gph pump. Filter socks are cleaned weekly. I run carbon, and then of course there is the biological filtration offered by the gravel bed and decor.

I have seen some get away with a "school" of oscars. Using larger groups to get rid of aggression. Any thoughts or experience on this?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
This a 6ft tank?

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I'm not sure how many I would put as far as aggression or anything like that is concerned. But space wise 4 should be more then fine in that tank.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
If nothing else was in the tank I think you could do about 6, give or take a bit. I have never had a lot of aggression issues with O's, other than they will eat whatever will fit in their mouth.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Bro, the answer is 0 Oscars. Go peacock bass man, get the nice size that Oscars have and then some, always beg for food like I'm sure your o's dude, but way cooler personalities i feel. At least get 1 man! Then get a couple cool Oscars. Nice tank.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
What would be the issues I faced if I tried, let's say, 10 oscars?
10 would deffinately push it. Id imagine some would try and pair up with 10. Agression may be an issue and filtration.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
I would go with 5, mainly because I like odd numbers when stocking aggressive fish.
I feel that when they get large 7 would be pushing it in that it wouldn't look nearly as nice.

Sneekit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Utah
Filtration I'm not worried about, I can keep the water clean. Pairing is definitely more a concern.

Any decor suggestions? Lots of caves/driftwood?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store