ST dat ID

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
There is a lot of confusion of correctly identifying an ST dat from others. In my opinion on a true ST dat the 4th bar goes down the dorsal ray and into the caudal peduncle as in the pic of this fish
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427776279.789889.jpg

Here is a picture of a fish with similar bars but the tail has an extra bar/stripe. So in my opinion it is not a true ST. How can you be 100% sure without doing a DNA test but to go off of a pattern or exact known location the fish is caught which is almost impossible to know.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427776475.190497.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There's already enough of these I.D. threads and there is plenty of information in the stickies.My post in the other thread was deleted but I was saying that those good looking hand picked,three bar indos do not have the middle bar that tapers down to a point like a dagger.The ST that is being sold has that middle bar but it does not have the full wrapped tail.The tail wrap is a highly desired trait but there are tons of ST that do not have this,so if the tail is not fully wrapped that does not disqualify the fish as an ST...I have even seen ST with a wrapped tail on one side and broken bars on the other side of the tail.BTW,the seller has posted a nice video of the ST that he is selling.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....and although his video is short in length there are a few other ST videos that can be clicked on after his vid ends.In some of those videos are some of the most impressive ST I have laid eyes on and they all do not have full wrapped tails....of particular interest is the MFK video.

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
There's already enough of these I.D. threads and there is plenty of information in the stickies.My post in the other thread was deleted but I was saying that those good looking hand picked,three bar indos do not have the middle bar that tapers down to a point like a dagger.The ST that is being sold has that middle bar but it does not have the full wrapped tail.The tail wrap is a highly desired trait but there are tons of ST that do not have this,so if the tail is not fully wrapped that does not disqualify the fish as an ST...I have even seen ST with a wrapped tail on one side and broken bars on the other side of the tail.BTW,the seller has posted a nice video of the ST that he is selling.
Well then it's a controversial dat as indicated in the stickie. Which can be Pulcher or Indo or CT or it can be a hybrid. Theres no 100% way of knowing like you can with the first pic I've shown. So you are basically guessing.
BTW- you can't go off of second bar going to a nice point at bottom. I have seen many ST that didn't have sharp points but did have 4 bars.

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
....and although his video is short in length there are a few other ST videos that can be clicked on after his vid ends.In some of those videos are some of the most impressive ST I have laid eyes on and they all do not have full wrapped tails....of particular interest is the MFK video.
Haha, there is a well know fish vender that's saying it's not a ST but a CT.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
These 2 are different fish coming from different collection points imo. Both pulchers!! Top one is true ST (body shape along with the striping) coming from either the lower Mekong river basin or the Chao Phraya river basin. Bottom pic either comes from Cambodia or Vietnam most likely. Both pulchers!! The bottom pic is not an indo. The op needs to look deeper than the tail striping, otherwise his signature vid of his "old 750" is an indo as well because of the tail striping..if that's all we're gonna look at

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
http://stonesaquarium.blogspot.ca/2012_04_01_archive.html

The above says it all!

Do your research and if you want it then buy it. Nothing is 100% guaranteed as stated! But as you can see there are ways to help make your own informed decision on what you are buying.

The seller can call the fish whatever he wants but in the end the buyer has to be the one that is content and happy with what he is buying. If you have doubts then don't buy!!! It's as easy as that and no need to argue the Id.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
These 2 are different fish coming from different collection points imo. Both pulchers!! Top one is true ST (body shape along with the striping) coming from either the lower Mekong river basin or the Chao Phraya river basin. Bottom pic either comes from Cambodia or Vietnam most likely. Both pulchers!! The bottom pic is not an indo. The op needs to look deeper than the tail striping, otherwise his signature vid of his "old 750" is an indo as well because of the tail striping..if that's all we're gonna look at
This sums it all up quite nicely....as for whatever this vendor said,ST,CT...it's still a pulcher and not an indo,as the OP was shouting,case closed.

kiep

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
chicago, il
The person whom trying to sell it as an ST is aware of the truth nature of the fish...hint the price.

Should he put ST in ""? I think the mod should be more active abt it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The person whom trying to sell it as an ST is aware of the truth nature of the fish...hint the price.

Should he put ST in ""? I think the mod should be more active abt it.
So what in your opinion is the fish that he is selling?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store