Stocking Suggestions For These Small Aquarium Sizes?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Well I work at Petsmart and Im personally having a hard time with helping people stock there tanks. Lets just say that each of these tanks undergo a biweekly 25% water change, fed appropriately, have a heater where temp water is at 79 degrees and have a good filter that is maintained well (This is basically the stuff I know for sure Im telling/showing the customers what is best). However once we get into the question "What can I have? and how many?" This is when I began to crumble as I never had a tank no smaller than a 50 gallon and now Ive been into saltwater with a 150 gallon tank so lets just say Im not used to small tanks with small fish.

Any ideas for the stocking abilities for the following sizes:

2.5 gallon tank
5 gallon tank
10 gallon tank
15 gallon tank
20 gallon tank

Than from there on I pretty much have it down pact. Here at the store we carry a great variety of fish I have to admit...well of course nothing exotic but everything common.

I would greatly appreciate all the advice as Im lost in the small tank world. Also of course I explain that it's not good to add all fish all at once....and all the other info that us members know :)

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well for the 10/15/20 I'd go cherry barbs all day long. I really find them interesting for some reason.

For the 2.5/5 I could only recommend a beta, unless you wana have a couple a tetras haha

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You could recommend paradise fish in the 15 and 20 gals. No heater needed. I just set up a 30 gal for my daughter with white cloud minnows and a pf

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Well for any tank and idk if ur dealing with knowledgable customers but if u are get them to start planted tanks with some Molly's or zebra danios, I started with a goldfish and a Dalmation Molly in a 30 and now I'm at A spotted gar in a pretty big tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
2.5 and 5 gallon i would only recommend shrimp or a beta. Too small for anything else. 10 gallon stick with fish that only grow to 1 to 1.5" such as small tetras, micro rasboras, honey gourami, guppies, etc. For 20 gallon anything already mentioned, dwarf gourami, or maybe a pair of rams.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
2.5g - Only a betta, or shrimp/non-apple snails
5g - 4-6 fish that max out at 1-1.5" (but neons are probably not hardy enough for a smaller tank)
10g - 5-10 fish that max out 1-3" (less numbers if they grow bigger)
20g - Most common community fish that don't exceed 4" are ok in 20g, imo. Just don't go over the top with stocking, stock less of bigger fish, etc. I think a 20g is the best size for a beginning fish keeper. More fun to stock, more room for mistakes. I would steer people toward that size (or bigger) if possible.

Obviously anything that is incredibly active needs a bigger tank than other fish of the same size.

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
Going to stick with hardier fish. Ghost shrimp are cheap and fun in most small tanks. They do some cleaning and don't bother fast short finned fish.

2.5 gallon tank - shrimp
5 gallon tank - lone betta
15 gallon tank- Female betta trio | Small schools like cherry barbs or danios or cardinals, small catfish like pygmy cories or maybe single bumblebee.

Small rainbowfish would work like threadfin or Gertude's.

20 gallon tank - Xray tetras are pretty hardy, playful, have interesting group behavior, cheap, not very shy, schools of 8 are fun, in my experience they fin nip so no long finned tank mates. Single gourami would work as centerpiece (push planted). Another small school(8-10), cherry barbs, cardinals, tetras maybe (6)pygmy cories (full size cories seemed to do better in bigger tank). Bumblebee catfish(1-2) or clown pleco(1) for bottom. You could do ~15 smaller schoolers (2 schools of ~8) and either centerpiece or bottom dwellers. My current stock is 8 xrays, 2 bumblebee catfish and (incoming) 10 celestial pearl danios when my leopard ctenopoma moves out.

I second recommending minimum 20g to start. You start getting to some fun fish and it is still a pretty small tank.

If they seem experienced or grasp maintenance / plants : Small (5-6) rainbowfish (threadfin, forktail, gertude's, praecox) or paradise fish, (5)hatchets, or a pair of rams-needs good care to survive.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
I agree with what has been said. The key word is "beginner". I think choosing easy to maintain hardy fish that can survive a couple of mishaps is important. Anything smaller than a 10g or 15g is asking for trouble, and you will likely get a few people that will want to buy a 10g and an oscar on the same day with no prior expierence. This is when it will be important to educate people.

Picking hardy fish is important imo, a pair of Blue Rams would be right at home in a 15g or 20g, but if the water quality is sub par then the rams wont do well and wont last long.

Another factor to consider is your area's public water parameters, is the water in your area generally hard/soft, acidic/alkaline etc.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks everybody for the information, definitely have a better idea on what to tell people. I wish I can help people about planted tank however i have no idea on them as I never had one. Im pretty sure special lighting is required if not mistaken.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The Back to Nature Guide to Nano Aquaria is pretty good at under $30 and also The 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species is cited as pretty good. Nice books to have as a reference guide but they can walk off if you don't keep a tight grip on them.:irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store