Petsmart Jack dempsey possibly a veija?

Fresharo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2014
Colorado
I picked up this guy today to add to my grow out tank just because I feel he is something more than just a Jack dempsey. Does this look like a veija synspilum to anyone else?? It was labeled as a Jack dempsey and I got him/her for 5$.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fresharo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2014
Colorado
I thought that could be a possibility, but it's very round in shape and tall. Just like the the syn I already have.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
It is an interesting looking fish, I've had many small Jacks and none of them looked that way. Possible it could be a hybrid?

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
How close to it was any other species tanks? I've seen fish slide over because the water was so high, in to the opposite tank. A lot of LFS employees don't know a dime from a nickel so you can end up getting all sorts of $$$ fish for cents on the dollar. perhaps this was a similar experience?

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
I see these all the time being sold as Dempseys. I've been wanting to pick one up just to see how they grow out. I agree with the poster above. I find mislabeled fish all the time for half the price of what it would be for the actual fish.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Def not a pure JD which you seem well aware, sort of resembles a young P. Melanurus but the blue spots on the gill plate have me thinking it is a hybrid of some sort. But as a disclaimer, I dont know my vieja sp. well enough to make any concrete assertions, just my .02.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store